1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

questions on TDS meter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wenszoo, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just got my new TDS meter. It is a HM Digital TDS-3 meter. When I turned it on it shows a message off Err. any ideas people?

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That usually means its broke or not calibrated? Does it show "err" when you place it in water. Do not not put it in salt water, that ruined one of mine. It may need to be calibrated as well, do you have calibration fluid?

3. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    did not recieve any calibration solution. it showed the message as soon as it was turned on before touching any water

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What does it do when you place it in "non" salt water? Sounds like it may need to be returned.

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It might just give "err" when the probes are dry. Try using it. Then try reading up on how to calibrate it.

6. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    called AWI and they said it was probably defective and they are sending me a new one

7. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    new meter arrived today. it works great. RO water is 18 ppm DI water is 000 PPM

8. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would see about getting the RO down to 5 or below if you can...18 will burn through DI resin pretty fast....

I used to get 20 from the RO and changed my filters and types of filters and now I get 3 from RO. I now change DI resin about 1/3 of the rate before...
    You have 1 DI cartridge or 2?

Hope that helps

eins