1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Questions for All QC area GIRS members

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by JB, Jun 6, 2009.

1. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Becky and I are in the Quad Cities, we're members but the only thing we've ever done with the club with the fall fest last year which rocked and we enjoyed greatly! We'd like to do more but we don't read the forums regularly so we don't usually hear about events. I would really like to see you put together an email newsletter so people like us that don't follow the forums can attend events.

Btw, mostly we don't follow the forums because we stop into AE so much we just chat about reef stuff there. I think having a such a high quality store naturally suppresses the local hobby because people tend to gravitate towards it.

I would really enjoy getting more involved with the club though, and I'd love to have smart reef people stop by to look at my tank and talk about it with me. I've been hoping one of these days I could get on a tank tour list so I could get some good feedback on my setup.

David

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi David, Its good to see some Q/C people posting! The Q/C area has been a little flat lately. We are trying to stir up more activity there. Its nice that A/E is there they are a great asset to this hobby no doubt, but we try to go to the next step and do things as friends and learn from one another and have a good time hanging out and talking tanks!
    I would love to come and check out your tank, tank tour or no tank tour! We are having a I/C tank tour small two stops but they are some very nice setups if you feel like getting out of the house this weekend.
    First stop is at Fawns home in Riverside, then my home in Musacatine. After the tank tour we are going to do a DIY seminar here. I'm going to be building an acrylic dual stage calcium reactor, and Andrew ( Your Q/C Trustee ) will be doing some tank drilling. After that we are going to have a BBQ to finish out the day.
    So David if ya feel like getting out of the house this weekend come on down and visit with us!
    Thanks -Rick-

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    +1

If you need directions and times, PM me or B-Rad.

We don't need a tank tour for some of us to stop by and check out your tank. We could do it as a club event, hang out and talk tanks.

4. David

David Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would be great to have you guys stop by and look at our tank, any time you feel up to it. I'll ask Becky what she thinks about coming this weekend, I'm pretty sure she'll be all for it, I'm the lazy one in the relationship... But I would love to see some other tanks.

Adam's a great guy, but I doubt you'll get much more support out of him than we already our. My impression is that he feels the club is competition, that being said, he does prominently display cards from the club on his sales counters and flyers and what not, and is quite positive about the club when asked about it. I believe he probably puts those cards on the counter because he feels it's the "right thing to do" and internally he probably feels like it costs him sales, but he does it anyway. So he is conflicted. He's the one that introduced Becky and Myself to the club, btw... But I can't imagine you'll get more support out of him unless you can come up with a way to improve his business and turn it into a win/win. After all, his business relies on people coming to him week after week with questions or concerns and picking up a fish or a coral or the latest gadget/compound while they're there.

I hope you guys can make it out to my place soon, it would be great to have some people to talk about my system with other than Adam. (Not that Adam isn't a great person to talk about my system with, it's just that right now he's the ONLY person I can talk about my system with, other than Becky, of course).

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sounds like a great Idea David, I will get with Andrew and we will see how our schedules look in July and set up some thing so we can see your tank!

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Bump. Still look'n for ways to enhance club activities/participation in the QC region!

7. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am always game if my schedule works out.. i live in davenport, and am building a 185 gallon sps system right now... you can follow the thread on RC..

a few years ago we used to have pizza nights... and catch up and get to know people.

I don't really have a tank to show now.. but am all up for stopping over at others places and chatting :)

8. ransomed4ever

ransomed4ever Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone, name is Jordan. Just found the GIRS site here, good to see there is some interest in the QC area. I live in Sterling, IL about 45 minutes east of the QC, and about an hour from Rockford, so I'm basically stuck in no man's land. I do go to AE everytime I am in the cities though. I have done a fair share of trading and selling on RC, but almost all of it is from people in the Rockford/Chicago suburbs. Both of those areas have pretty active clubs, and a lot of people with reefs, but It seems that reefs are few and far between in my area. I can probably count on one hand the number of serious reefers that I know of in the area, there may be more, but it seems that everyone around here goes it on their own without participating in clubs or online forums. So, basically I'm really not sure how to bring the reefers out of the woodwork, especially when they are kinda isolating themselves. I guess I'll have to hang out here a little more often to see whats going on in the QC area (and maybe even Des Moines, because I have family south of there and make it through every now and then).

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live in Galva IL which is about 50 minutes from the QC. I also wish that the QC region was more active. Actually there must be more reefers than we know about in order to support AE in Davenport and the SW section at Teske's in Moline.
    Anyway, I would be up to being part of a carpool (even driving!) to some of the other GIRS functions that are within an hour or a little more from the QC. I'm terrible about knowing what falls within that range that is coming up, but if anyone wants to participate in a carpool, post on here!!

10. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Jordan!
    There's a lot of reefers in the Q/C area we just need to get them to partake in the club a little more.
    I'm starting to see a little more activity in this part of the posts. so hopefully things will start to roll again!
    Hy Robyn!
    sounds like we may be brining a bus load to your BNARC event in October, should be a fun time, Looking forward to it.

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    B-Rad,
    I know that Davenport has AE and now a new LFS. How about Muscatine, any shops thereabouts?

12. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A mean grumpy old man owns one here in town.

13. Firefish

Firefish Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "A mean grumpy old man" LOL That is so true. I have yet to have a good experience in there, they greet you with frowns.

14. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was going to that store to get my freshwater stuff back in the day. Never was nice to me until I mentioned I thought about going salt water. Then he was nice as can be showing my all this stuff that I needed. Looking back, it was all the expensive stuff that I have not seen one person in this club use.