1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Questions about refugeum lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calebjk, Feb 8, 2009.

1. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, in my continuous battle with the GHA, i've noticed that the algae in my fuge doesn't grow nearly as good as the algae in my display, so i'm going to at least replace the bulbsover my sump and add a reflector. right now i am using a 20Wide as my fuge on a 33gal tank. the fuge has a pare of 20Watt T12 lamps over it in a utility light fixture. One bulbe is a Veralux 6500k bulb, the other is just an old aquarium bulb i had around when i set the thing up 2 years ago.
    I'm hoping to find out from some people who have been successfully running their tanks and controling the algae in their display what color temp and intensity of lighting they use for their sumps.
    Thank you,
    ~caleb

2. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a MH (10,000k) light over my fuge. I keep my old MHs from my main tank when I replace them and run them another 6 mo over my fuge. It has worked great. My fuge is about 20x20x18. I have to trim my chaeto every month. If I don't the fuge will turn into a giant square of alge. Since I have a MH on my fuge it doubles as a frag tank when I need it.

3. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'd love to have that luxury, but my 4" T5HO bulbs won't fit over my sump/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif