1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Questions about Bristle Worm??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John50, May 18, 2009.

1. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi. We got some cured live rock that had we got some starfish and snails out of and were excited about that. Well all of a sudden a Hawaiian Feather Duster made himself well known! We are thrilled but have questions. We were told that the store feeds them shrimp and we already had some dried shrimp so we use a shish-ka-bob stick to give it a piece of that and it takes it from us just fine. The question is how often do we give it a piece because one of the experts said it shouldn't cause  problems unless it gets large. So if we feed it too much is it going to get too large and what is the appropriate amount of shrimp? Thanks for your help!!!
    John

2. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure it's a hawaiian feather duster? A feather duster does not eat shrimp. They filter super tiny things from the water. What you describe sounds like an anemone. Do a google images search for hawaiian feather duster and see if it looks like any of the pics. Or do you mean the store was feeding shrimp to the bristle worms? That is unnecessary, as the bristle worm is best left to clean up uneaten food and debris from your tank. If you intentionally over feed you will have lots of big bristle worms, and while some bristle worms are great to have, you don't want a whole herd of them.

A good site for critter ID is www.melevsreef.com

3. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think u have a feather duster I think it's an aptasia or glass anenome. That's why they said if it gets bigger it will be a problem. If that's the case u want to get rid of it before they take over ur tank. Google aptasia and see if that's what ur seeing. Ps... I miss I'd a pod for a mantis shrimp so it happens. Ur a bit newer so hopefully they don't give as bad of time as they did me. LOL.

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There are a bunch of pictures of feather dusters HERE

5. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is definitely a Hawaiian Feather Duster, looks like the pictures and they have them for sale in the tank the live rock came from that look just like it. They charge 12.50 for them so a freebie and they said they feed freeze dried shrimp to the ones in the store, so that is why we were and it takes it from the end of a kabob and eats it. So weird I think.

6. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    If you go to wetwebmedia.com you will find lots of info on the care of a feather duster. That's a great hitchiker!

7. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Only problem is feather dusters can't and won't eat large pieces of food. They filter feed plankton and other micro organisms. Strange....