1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Question on sea shells?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John50, Jun 14, 2009.

1. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Our daughter just got back from Florida and brought us some pretty small white shells, a star fish skeleton and a sand dollar skeleton. My wife wants to put them in the tank but I thought I should ask someone that knows whether those would be tank safe? If anyone has a clue please let me know because I am not letting her put them in until someone tells me it won't hurt anything!

2. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should add, I know the ones from the sea shore are fine, they came out of the sea, I just didn't know if the couple of things she bought at a gift shop might have been treated with something??

3. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If anything they were probably just bleached unless you can see a visible laquer on them. I'd rinse them off well before putting them in though.

4. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Luukosian on 06/15/2009 04:14 PM
    If anything they were probably just bleached unless you can see a visible laquer on them. I'd rinse them off well before putting them in though.
    Thanks! That is kind of what we were thinking but since we are new to this wanted to ask somebody, thanks for your help!

5. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say to boil them, then let them sit in some change water for a week or so.  Just to be on the safe side.

6. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By CyberJester on 06/15/2009 07:09 PM
    I would say to boil them, then let them sit in some change water for a week or so.  Just to be on the safe side.
    Thanks!