1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Question on leveling of tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TRichardson79, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TRichardson79

TRichardson79

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does a tank have to be 100% level? I have a 75g on a commercially built stand on carpet. I am leveling it using a 24" level. Length wise the air bubble is still in between the lines but just barely. Now front to back is a different story. Now my question is can I use paint stir sticks to level it or would that cause a problem?

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Use those sticks and get it as level as possible. Will work just fine, I have done it on many larger tanks.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My 125 is at least an inch out of level, not good but its been like that for a couple years now and no problems.

4. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    as it sinks into the carpet over time it might level out a bit if your not quite level right now

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Always best to try and level it as much as possible.

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to take the carpet tack strip out where the aquarium goes against the wall to help keep it as level as possible. I would think that the carpet should compress evenly to keep it level as long as the carpet strip is out of there. I'm putting it in the same spot where I had a 55 gallon cichlid tank that I had to use shims to level (I believer due to the carpet strip). I don't figure the weight of the tank, stand and everything in it is going to allow the carpet to go anywhere. If I ever move the tank, it's easy enough to put the tack strips back in place. Also going to use some floor jacks under the tank as it's being installed in an area of the house where there's a crawl space and not a full basement. That way, if I need to adjust it a little to make things level, I will be able to. Sounds like it's overkill based on what everyone else is saying, but I also wanted to prevent the tank from swaying if possible when people are walking across the room. The room is probably 15 to 20 feet across and those long floor joists allow a certain amount of movement to the floor when people walk across it.

--AJ

7. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AJ, one they, not sure you have thought about wish I had.  You want to leave a good little bit of room between the tank and the wall to work with.  So when you have to do any work behind the tank it is not a complete pain in the butt.  I only left about 6 inches, I wish I had left more.