1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Question for Scuba Divers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Mar 30, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to be going to Maui soon and I plan to get my PADI certification while I'm there.   I'm also going to be doing some snorkeling.
    So...   I would like to get some of the basic stuff (mask, fins, etc) and I've been looking at some package deals available online.
    Right now I'm leaning towards this one:
    Tusa Package
    But I've also been looking at some of the deals here:
    Warm Water Packages
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    -JB

2. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    send wes (wesly2007 i think) he work at scuba too in cedar falls. they have some great product and some good prices too, i got some glove and boats there and they are great. He may be about to get you a discount too/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif they do all of the classes there too and are a lot cheaper than doing it somewhere else.

3. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey JB. I have bought stuff from Scuba.com and had a good experience but have you looked at Sea to Sea there in CR yet? They are pretty good if you get the right person. I do not know if I would buy a mask without trying it on first. Also the gloves can be hard to size too. You should not need gloves anyway because you should not be touching anything anyway /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif. I bought my boots at Sea to Sea and the price was less than online. I like the solid fins. They say that split fins propel you more but the Military did all the test and found that was not true. You just pay more because they look cool. Also it is important to get your fins and boots at the same time so you can make sue you can get you boot into your fin. Any defog is good. But in this case...less is more and in most casses the boat will have some if you forget yours.

Now...up on my box /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif. Why are you not getting certified before you go? It is much safer and you are not waisting time getting certified on vacation. If you just want to snokel that is fine but there is a lot to learn to dive and you need to kjnow how to react. off /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Are you going to get to the big Island while you are there? I believe they have a farry now that can take you and your car there now really cheap. If you do let me know and I will get my brother to meet you somewhere and he can take you to some sweet shore diving sites.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Bob,

I did go to Sea to Sea a while ago and I  plan to go back and check them out before I order anything.

The main reason that I'm getting certified in Hawaii is time.   I had sort of nixed the idea of getting certified for a while (because of the cost) and didn't change my mind until it was too late to do it locally.   As far as wasting my vacation time, it kinda depends how you look at it.   I'm going to be there for a couple of weeks with my wife's entire family, so being able to spend a couple of days doing my own thing is not really a bad thing.
    Here are the places that I'm looking at for getting my certification:
    http://www.lahainadivers.com/scuba_training.html
    http://www.pacificdive.com/maui.dive.instruction.certification.html
    -JB

5. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just to add to Bullet's great advice...Depending on the anticipated frequency of use, I would consider renting gear. Most commercial and private guides supply top quality gear. If you are taking a commercial flight renting would equate one less large piece of luggage to worry about but, if you are a taking a private/chartered flight it wouldn't really make any difference.

6. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    hey guys I have to chime in here. I work at scuba too in cedar falls and I have to tell you that I would personaly not buy fins or booties or gloves over the internet. there are too many factors that go into proper fitting, maintenance, and overall use of the gear you are looking to buy.

if you buy fins that are too large your going to create nasty blisters and lacerations on the heal and the top of the feet. but if they are too small your not going to be able too use them at all. The split fin formation you are looking at in the tusa package is a very nice design but depending on your kick it may not give you enough propulsion. thats just the fins.

now with the mask and snorkel you may be ok I have sold that package before and have had no complaints. in fact thats what we sell at scuba too Tusa. now this isnt something you are going to want to rent. the rest of it would be ok to rent.

now if your dead set to buy all your own equipment come see me in cedar falls or go to a local dive shop that would be able to fit you properly for the equipment you are looking to buy.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input guys. I just realized that Scuba is probably not a good idea for me right now because I have an minor but unrepaired hernia. I hate to miss the opportunity, but I don't wan't to risk diving with an unsafe condition.
    So... It looks like I'll be sticking to Snorkeling. I definitely still want to get some of the basic equipment so I don't have to rent it each time I go snorkelling (and I do still plan to get certified at some point).
    -JB

8. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend that you use this forum to find out as much as you can about those outfits: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawai-i-o-hana/

Before I go anywhere I get on this forum and find out as much as I can about the place I am going. There are a lot of smart people on there that have been everywhere. You know the benifits of using forums /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>!

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Update: After talking with my surgeon, my condition is so minor that he said it should not present a problem with scuba. I'm going to see my family doctor next week to make sure that he concurs and have him fill out the PADI medical forms.
    I called Sea to Sea and they were able to get me into thier certification class for next weekend.
    So... Asuming that my family doctor approves it, I should have my classroom and confined dives out of the way by the time I get to Hawaii.
    And btw Bullet, I have been reading up in that forum link you sent.  Thanks for the great resource!
    -JB

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    JB

My wife and took local lessons and the written test before our Honeymoon.
    We then made arrangements with a Dive shop in the Caymans to do our Certification Dive with them.
    We then spent the whole week diving 2x a day.

That might be a good option for you.

eins

11. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is the way to do it! This way you will not have to go into the cold quarry Iowa waters for your open water check-out dives. Just be carefull with all the heavy lifiting next weekend. Once you get to Hawaii you should be alright if you are a good tipper/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm definitely going to be cautious during any lifting...   I'm also dreading the 200yd swim, but I have no doubt that I can do it and the survival float.
    You bring up an interesting point... Who should you tip when doing dive charters and such?
    -JB

13. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Depending on the dive outfit you will usually will have the captain and the divemaster. On big boats....which I hate...you will have more. Those are the only people I tip and like everything other service I tip according to the service. I know when I dove in the Bahamas I tipped them each a lot but they also did a lot like completely setting up all my equipment switching my tanks...basically everything except dive for me /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif All I did is check everything. They also took us to a great site that I wanted to see and since I was the most experienced diver on board they agreed. On top of that they held the boat for me and the divemaster so that we could get in a longer shallow water dive because everyone else was nervous of the sharkes and blew through their air in about 30 mins. A few beers afterwards with them had a factor into their tip too!

14. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know I will need to get in a lot better shape before I go again... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif I also think I will be buying a mask and fins at a minimum. I felt like my fins were way undersized, thus adding to the exhaustion factor. I would definatly suggest diving though. There is nothing like it!!!

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, tomorrow is the big day, at least for the confined water portion.

Wish me luck!

-JB

16. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good luck JB, you will be fine...

eins

17. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    jb, hope this goes ok!

18. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Day one down. So far so good. Mask clearing was a challenge, but it got a bit easier with repetion. Somehow I managed to blow through my air way faster then everyone else, so that sucked, but otherwise it was a challenging but fun time.

-JB

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Day 2 went much better than day 1. Mask clearing seemed more natural to me and I was able to do all of the mask excercises in the deep end with no problems. I'm definitley going to practice mask removal in the pool with my snorkel more before I have to do it at 30' in my open water dives.

Anyway, I made it thorugh the confined water stuff fine and I'm now good to go for Hawaii. A big thanks to those of you who recommended getting my confined water stuff done locally. That was definitely the right thing to do. I don't know if I would have been nearly as confortable trying to squeeze all of it into a 3 day class.

-JB

20. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    glad to have a local expert whenever we get around to getting certified, before the honeymoon for sure!