1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Question About External Skimmers and Reactors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex Crittenden, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Hey everyone,

This is a 2-part question. I have a Biocube 29 running, currently carbon and GFO running in a media bag in the sump and no skimmer.

First, I had the Biocube skimmer and was not a fan of it. It seemed to remove mediocre amounts of skimmate. It could be that I didn't tune it in right, but for the money it didn't seem to work that well. I know there are a number of skimmers that are supposed to be able to work with Biocubes and Nanos out there, and some are listed as external. With an external skimmer it seems like I should be able to run it to the stand, saving room in the sump area for other things. Any thoughts on if this would work/how to do this would be great. I have searched Youtube, and I see a lot of people cutting/drilling Biocubes, and I am just not willing to do that. If I could run a pump to it or something though, I would be down to give it a go. If this is possible suggestions on where to pull from and where to return would be great.

Second, I have carbon and GFO running in a media bag in the sump. I feel like reactors would be more efficient, and a better choice. Looking for advice on if I should try to run one in the Biocube 29, or if it's a waste of money and time.

Thanks.

2. Question... when you say sump. Are you talking about the chamber behind the main display that's already built into the biocube?

I have a jbj 28 basicly the same tank and I have the skimmer for it too and I agree it is crap.

If you don't want to drill you can use a hang on the back overflow box and run it to an actual sump. Either way I don't reccomend it.

If you really want extra filtration and don't want to drill I would go with a canister filter. Still overkill in my opion I would just leave the AIO(all in one) cube alone and let it stay an AIO.

3. Yes, when I saw sump I mean the chamber behind the main display.

4. yeah if you don't want to drill your only options are a canister filter or a hang on back overflow. I don't reccomend either for that tank though. The filtration that is built in should be good enough. You could add a powerhead or 2, or swap out the return pumps on back for some maxi jets