1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Purple Digi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruggerkc, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I picked up a purple digi 2 weeks ago from Waverz, the last thing he said was these are great cause if there is something wrong with your water it will turn brwn to let you know. Well mine is brown, has been since I droped it in the tank. I finnally got some water testing kits and they looked really good. Nitrates 0 phosphate 0 or 0.25, KH 8, and Ca 420. I would like to see if I could get a nice club member to check my hydrometer against there refractometer and check my RO for TDS. Any one have any other suggestions. Fish look great. I think the frogspawn and buble coral are all right, they seem like they might be over extending out of there skeletons, but I really know what normal is.
    thanks so much
    Casey

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would maybe give it a couple of weeks. They brown out easily from moving.

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Casey, what kind of lighting do you have? IME, they seem to do better under intense lighting.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    They are pretty sensitive, just fragging them caused mine to turn brown for a few weeks. They are getting nice and purple again finally. It could be your lighting as Sone said but my guess would be it just needs to settle in. I need to come check out your tank sometime man, give me a call sometime this week and maybe i can head over.

5. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I have dual 96 watt pc that were new this sumer. Eric and Sara ( picked up same coral, same day ,with simular lighting) said theres was purple otherwise I wouldn't have thought much of it.

6. Coralfreak

Coralfreak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would agree with the above, give it some time.  Your lighting may be ok, they will color up better under more intense lighting though.
    Something you may also want to take a look at is your alk, 8dKH is a little low IMO.  Aim for closer to 3.5meq/L or ~10dKH.
    Allen

7. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can grow monti digi under dual 96 watt PC's but for great coloration you will need to have it near the top of the tank and run a blue bulb. When I had the purple monti under my dual 96 watts it turned crazy purple using the older lighter blue PC actinics. The best coloration and growth balance would be a daylight and 03 actinic or 2 50/50 bulbs.

8. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    My lamps are dual actinic 420/426 and dual day light 6700k/10000k and I do have it as high as I can get it. I only have about 1 third of my live rock in the tank right now so its not real close maybe 8 inches of water and 8 inches of air. I actually think the thing is growing. The polyps are always open.

9. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gve it some time, its common for them to brown out when they are moved.