1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Prop tank build #2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well after the last catastrophy, i decided to try a different appraoch.  A friend of mine had this tub just laying around and said i could have it, so i cleaned it all up and plumbed it in.  It's not pretty but it does what it needs to do.  It's lit by a 250 watt MH and will hold a ton of frags!  I would like to get some mj 1200's for a little more flow but for now it will work.  I scrounged up soem 3 foot NO light fixtures so i am still able to use the 100 gallon below to grow macro algae.

[​IMG]                                                                             
    Here it is with a few frags.

[​IMG]

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Aweome!

3. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it's a great idea. I wish i had that much room to work with.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool, that looks like a great way to propogate you corals.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Its gonna be an amazing sight when that thing is full.....

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    With a propogation tank like that it shouldn't take you long at all to get banned from RC!

/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

-JB

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 12/08/2007 11:46 AM
    With a propogation tank like that it shouldn't take you long at all to get banned from RC!

/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align="absmiddle" border="0">

-JB
    Heh no kidding JB, im just hoping to sell some of these frags so i can pay for that ACIII.
    I laready have over 40 in it, man that thing is gonna hold like 500 frags, i think i need to ditch the single 250 and get a dual.
    Hmm who was it that i was talking to about buying one......i knoe someone had a dual 250 for sale, just cant remember who.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sweet nectar of the gods!

i enjoy this.

i suppose ill proably see sunday...

9. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You start proppin softies and I may end up being your best customer! ;-)

Nice tank btw. I have one we used to hold beer at an aniversary party that has been sitting in a garage since...I may need to find a new use for it...

10. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Looking good man! A little more SOLID than the last attempt! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

11. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You got one of the Rubbermaid prop tanks. You are now one of the cool kids... Cudos

12. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks cool, id get rid of those 4x4s if they are treated, its well known in the construction feild that they have high amounts of cyanide, water seal and other contaminents.

i wouldnt want any spilled water getting on them and dripping in your water, just a thought.

13. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 12/09/2007 6:57 PM
    looks cool, id get rid of those 4x4s if they are treated, its well known in the construction feild that they have high amounts of cyanide, water seal and other contaminents.

i wouldnt want any spilled water getting on them and dripping in your water, just a thought.Jeremy, I would think about that hard. Brad (dascharisma) claims that is what crashed his tank.

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for pointing that out guys, i thought about that before i put em under it. They are just temporary though, i am working on building something that looks a little nicer and won't kill my tank when the next flood happens.

15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    How tall off the floor and how wide(side to side) is it? I might be able to scrounge up some scrap steel and weld something up for you.

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This sounds like a ploy to get some free frags outta me.
    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    Matt that would be super sweet!!  I'll get some measurements tomorrow, my only concern is that being its above my main sump if it starts to get moisure on it, it might start dripping rust into it.  I was just gonna build some simple frames with 2 x 4's.

17. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if I can get scrap long enough to cover the width of the tank or not yet, just let me know the dimensions and we'll see. As long as you paint it good it should be fine I would think. I was thinking about building my next stand out of steel, that way I'll gain more room under the tank.

Free frags are def. a PLUS though! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think you should take new pics. i want to see it with more frags...
    :-D

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, let's see some more pics.  I'll bet that will accomodate a bunch of frags.

20. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well here's an updated pic, i lost a few frags last week.  I think all the stress of sutting, glueing, being moved, reverse light cycle and different flow was just too much for them.  I plan on ordering a new bulb for the light, or i might just sell it and get a dual 250 watt setup.  Someone said they had one for sale that their dad built but i can't remember who that was.  If you read this let me know, i still want it. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif  Whatever i decide i really want to get new bulbs, i think some XM 10ks have the highest par ratings so thats a no brainer there.

[​IMG]