1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Problems with seaclone 100

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am fairly new to saltwater awuariums, and I had this skimmer for about three months now and I still cannot control the bubbles that are returning into my tank, when I adjust the air control valve to no bubbles then the skimmer doesn't perform.  If there is anyone who has any tips please let me know

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There are two things you can do. Have the skimmer outlet run into a bubble trap in your sump or have the skimmer outlet run over a big wad of filter media that will trap the bubbles and let the water flow freely. Bubble traps are easy to make. Get a small funnel from Lowes, connect a plastic tube on the end, secure it in your sump so to funnel is half sumbmerged in your water, and have the skimmer outlet empty into the funnel. This will trap the bubbles because they will float to the top of the water and dissapate in the funnel. The bubble free water can flow through the bottom of the funnel and through the tube. The tube connected has to be long enough to prevent bubbles from escaping through the bottom of the funnel. You might have to experiment to find the shortest length. You don't EVER want to reduce the number of bubbles being blow into your skimmer, you want to maximize that number.

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The best tip, in my opinion would be get a better skimmer. I had the exact same one for one of my tanks, and never could get it to work right. But to help you, make sure your water level where the protein skimmer is stays level.

4. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just adjust the air valve so there is next to no bubbles and then drill a hole in the cap and add a air stone,you will want to add the air stone to an air pump that has an adjustable flow.mine works very well

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't use an air stone. They're ineffective at generating microbubbles (unless if you make your own out of wood, but that's a pain in the ***). Make a bubble trap for $1. Or go with taavis and get a new skimmer, but if I had the choice between $400 and spending $1 and 2 minutes of my time, I'd pick the latter.

6. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have the 150 on my tank now and it is a big turd but it pulls junk out of the water. i am using the filter media at the end of mine and works great. i am asking for a new skimmer for christmas though : )

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In my opinion upgrade your skimmer if at all possible.

If you turn down the amount of bubbles the skimmer is producing then whats the point of having it???

The bubble trap will work, but I would look into getting a better skimmer for your corals sake.