1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Problems with high pH

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nuccatree, Apr 23, 2009.

1. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been really battling high pH for the last few months.  I have used the acid buffer to try ot lower, complete multiple water changes, added active carbon, still it might drop but th3e next day it is back up.  Here is a little backgroud as well:  I use tap water (don't shoot me, but I have been doing it for 8 years with no problems, until now)  The tank is newer but used everything from an established tank.  Temp runs between 78-82 for the most part.  I have tried to drop it, but it is just a space problem.  I have been having red algee problems and have been dosing for this as well.  Also, when setting up this tank, I used some sand from a pervious tank I had.  the sand sat for a year in a sealed bucket, and I just trying to rinse it as good as I could.  My tank is a 47g cube and I have about 150-200 lbs of rock (true balancing act as the rock goes to the top of tank)  I have a cpr sump system that skims great and have a korilla 1 for additional circulation.  Also, I am running dual 175MH for 9 hr/day.  Any thoughts?

2. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alos to note, my anenomes have really been mad at me for a while, won't extend. and my green star polys are not extending. my toadstool, finger, hammer,touch are all fine and growing.

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how long has this tank actually been up and going?

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What is your actual number? Have you tried a different test kit to verify?

I am really surprised as most of us battle low PH. I would love to keep mine @ 8.4, but have a hard time keeping it above 8.0

5. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    THe tank itself has been up and going for almost 4 months. All the rock and coral was in a holding tank for about 9 month, but I have had it going in another show tank since 2002. My actual pH has just started to register and I have seen it at 8.0, but most of the itme it shoot to purple instantly which tells me it is above 8.4

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What is your alk then?

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Am I understanding this right? You have a return pump and one additional pump for flow? If thats the case thats where your red slime is comming from, a mix of higher temp and lack of flow along with an extended lighting period.

I'm curious what your tap water is reading for a ph

Personally I would invest in an ro unit, if your planning to keep corals and would like minimal issues later down the road I would say the investment would be a good one.

8. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what the alk is or how to test it. Yes, you are right that I do have a return pump and add'l one and want to get another one b/c the 47g cube is just akward to rockscape. Do you think that 9a to 6 is too long to keep the lights on?

9. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ph for the tap is 7.8 after the salt is mixed. I have used this same tap water for the past 4 years at this location with minimal problems. This is not saying that rock island hasn't just changed some of its standards. Maybe the current cutbacks meant cutting back on sanitation levels as well. Not a chance, huh?

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Are you using a water softener? I thought tap water around here was like 8.4+
    Get a different kit, this whole "shooting to purple" thing doesn;t sound like you using a very accurate kit.

Learn about "ionic balance" , IMO high PH isn't usually a problem as long as you keep your Alkalinity and Magnesium in balance with it. Do a google search for it.

I also think that PH is one of the most overated things to test for, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Nitrate, and Phosphate levels are far more important. As long as your ph si between 7.8 and 8.6 I think you are alright, as long as you have your Alkalinity in balance.

Here is a link to a neat calculator which tells you what your Mag and Alk should be based on your PH level.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

I just noticed your tagline, while your helping people achieve a better balance in life, you should do some research on how to better balance your reef. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

As far as the algae problem, add more flow in the tank also check for phosphates and nitrates. Also keep in mind when you do large water changes you can "shock" your system which may cause a little bit of a cycle causing algae blooms.

Good luck.

11. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use my tank as a educational tool for my patients about true balance in life. that is why I am so frustrated with this problem. How can I test for Mag and Alk? I have a couple Kor 3's and a cooling fan on order to try to add current and cool things down to 76-78. All we can do is try.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    You will have to find a test kit for each. I would get another for PH while you were at it.

A temp of over 78 isnt such a bad thing either, I actually just turned mine up to 80.

Or maybe AE will do a complete water test for you since you are close to Dav.