1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

problem with frag!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishyness, Mar 31, 2009.

1. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I got 7 frags at the swap meet. All look great except a piece of blue zoas. It is getting covered with what looks like white mold. What could have happened? And what is it???

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sponge or it's bleaching? Pics of these things are always helpful.

3. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm at work[​IMG]  Looks like a fungus of some type.

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've seen sponges that look pretty fungal. Best treatment for sponges is taking the frag out of the tank, picking off the sponge, and then letting it sit in the air for a few minutes. If the frag is completely covered, it may be too late /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif Sponges also hate high light.

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a sponge recover after being set out of the tank for an hour. Some of them can be quite resilient.

6. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    OK it's worth a try. It's the largest frag I got too.....[​IMG]

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey did you dip your frags before introduction? This should at a minimum be done in lieu of quarantine. If this looks bacterial then you should be dipping this in an Iodine bath. If it is bacterial and you pick it off it will just come back. Iodine can kill some fungus and bacterial infections.

8. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No I didn't, I assumed the people there would be selling healthy corals........

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't ever assume anything in this hobby. Coral dips are a must. Maybe the club should set up a coral dip table right by the exit door /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif  Although, it's probably something you want to do at home so you can dip and then stick them in your tank to minimize the dip effects.

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It would be wrong to assign blame on this unless something was done purposefully. Bringing a coral to a swap is very stressful on it and can bring out things that naturally exist. For example, most people think their tanks are free of Ick. The fact is most tanks have Ick but you don't see it until something goes wrong. But if you keep a great tank you won't notice the Ick and you don't see other problems on corals. Bad things exists naturally just like in our own bodies.
    So just like quarantining fish you buy you should always dip corals. This is just part of the hobby. Also be aware dipping is not nearly as good as quarantining. Yes, the right thing to do is to quarantine coral as well as fish. But less people do that than even QT fish.

11. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ich is a nasty little bug /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif I'm a firm proponent of QT for all new fish (you would be too if you've ever had to deal with an infestation). Although, it's a common misconception that "all of our tanks have it." It is preventable with strict QT of everything, especially new live rock entering an established display tank system (8 week QT), and 4 weeks for fish (Ich will only live on the fish for 2 weeks at most, killed by copper). Unlike freshwater ich, saltwater ich does not go dormant. 99% of SW ich parasites die in 8 weeks when no fish host is present. The 1% left after 8 weeks have insignificant infectivity.

But back on topic...take a picture, pull it out and dip it, and then stick it back in. I've heard people having good luck with the Kent coral dip. You can mix up your own scheme of Lugol's, furan, etc if you feel feisty.

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ah, but rarely do people ever let their tanks sit fallow for 8 weeks since they were newbies and didn't QT. Therefore I do not believe it is a misconception that most tanks have ICH since they have had continuous hosts. This is supported by the number of long time hobbyists that all of a sudden get ICH when something goes wrong.
    Yes, but I continuing OT. The point being QT and dipping is a must for long term success.

13. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

OK thanks. I will try to save it...

And I wasn't trying to blame anyone, sorry if I came off that way....[​IMG]

14. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  15. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm halfway through an 8 week QT... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

16. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  17. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'll check when I get home...
    If it is still bad I'm gonna just throw it out. 20 bucks isn't worth something spreading in my tank.

18. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I wouldn't waste a good coral because of a small issue.