1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

prestone driveway heat for twopartsolution?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanndenise1, Dec 1, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i picked this stuff up and am just making sure thats what i want to use.
    says pure calcium chloride on the label for ingredients.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If it says pure calcium chloride, then it should be the right stuff. Be sure to pay close attention to the recipes, the ammount you use is a little bit different then if you were to use dowflake.

-JB

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shawn thats right stuff i bought a 50 pound bag of that 2 day at lowes for 17.99 a bag plus ei bought 5 boxes or baken soada and 4 boxes epson salt we made gallons of this stuff if any one needs any i put some in my tanks

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Randy Holmes Farley mentions this brand specifically in his article. He tested it so it should be fine. I have used it a little over the past year.

5. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if your not going to use it i could use it on my driveway. I got over 2 inches of ice on it /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

6. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By davidm199 on 12/02/2007 9:17 AM
    if your not going to use it i could use it on my driveway. I got over 2 inches of ice on it /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>my girlfreind tried that on me last night, i told her it would get warm out sooner or later and it would melt.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just My opinion, but using that product would scare me, as it is made for melting driveway ice, if the mixing machine, broke a hydraulic line, or some thing got into the mix from the compant's point of view the quality would not be comprimised, as all it has to do is melt the ice. Usually the more pure a compound is the more it costs.
    My personal feeling is that some day , it could be a issue. But maybe not either.
    I guess all I am saying is that prestone, just has to make shure it melts ice, If a harmful chemical to a reef got in there it would not effect there product as far as what it is made to do.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    prestone is pure cal thats what does the melting and i use the prestone in my tank with no problems i was scard to use it at first look up whats is the reef stuff same as whats in the prestone and a lot cheaper u should think abought useing it would save ya a lot of money i even have a gallon of the 2 part ill give ya if u want to try it its safe thanks

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How do you use it as a two part? Do you pre measure amount and mix with water?  What do you use for Alk?

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yes, the recipe is super easy.   For the alk part, you just bake a certain amount of Baking soda to remove the CO2, then you mix it with water.
    For the record, I've been using Prestone for a year with no ill effects at all.   I really doubt if all the commercial 2 part additives are really made with food grade ingredients either.   I feel pretty comfortable using Prestone.
    -JB

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AL i have gallons of the 2 part if u want some its free no charge plus i have some sand for ya live sand out of my sump with copoads if u need any same goings for u shawn or any one else

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    According to this article and Randy Holmes-Farley, Prestone Driveway heat is repackaged Dowflake that has been further dehydrated. I think it is probabally as good as the other Dow products people use in their reef.
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
    This is a more potent version though and the mixure ratio must be reduced to take this into account. This is explained in the article.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By keith on 12/03/2007 11:48 AM

AL i have gallons of the 2 part if u want some its free no charge plus i have some sand for ya live sand out of my sump with copoads if u need any same goings for u shawn or any one elseThank's Keith, maybe I can pick some up later this week or next weekend if your going to be around.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    come over ant time 563-579-5309

15. KDaullary

KDaullary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Uh, Im with you. I really dont care that it has "pure calcium chloride" in it. What else does the label say is in there? What does the big warning label say? Also im sure that reef biologists or conservationists would'nt allow this to be introduced to the oceans. why would you use it just because you havent seen anything happen yet. I meen it realy isnt that expensive to buy the products made for our reef aquariums. This isnt a cheap hobby, filters, sumps, lights, ect. everything is expensive, these are all things ive considered and made the commitment to. I know saving money is good but after all i have already invested Im not going to jeoperdize it by introducing a chemical made to melt ice on my driveway. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crying.gif Whats that say on the second picture in this thread? Keep out of the reach of children and animals?

16. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Randy Holmes Farley has been the Reef Chemistry guru on RC for years. He is a chemist and went straight to the manufacturers on these products. I think we can trust him. I agree this is an expensive hobby and many manufacturers/retailers take advantage of this and charge 10x the amount that a product should actually cost. If you can get the exact same stuff for a tenth the cost go for it. Two Part solution is a very successful alternative to spending $20 a pint because Kent or Seachem (or many others) has put their label on it. Kalk is another great example of this.

17. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    teskes in moline has 50 pound bags of the(peladow)calcium chloride pictured in farleys recipe for the two part solution, right at the front door, $22.00.

18. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 12/18/2007 11:20 PM
    Randy Holmes Farley has been the Reef Chemistry guru on RC for years. He is a chemist and went straight to the manufacturers on these products. I think we can trust him. I agree this is an expensive hobby and many manufacturers/retailers take advantage of this and charge 10x the amount that a product should actually cost. If you can get the exact same stuff for a tenth the cost go for it. Two Part solution is a very successful alternative to spending $20 a pint because Kent or Seachem (or many others) has put their label on it. Kalk is another great example of this.
    Agreed, I would also add that assuming that all of the "Made for the Hobby" type products actually use better quality or "safer" ingredients might be a stretch.
    Hundreds (if not thousands) of people have been using the products mentioned in Randy's article in their reefs for a long long time with no ill effects.   I used the prestone in my 2-part for nearly a year until I switched to Kalk and I still use it to suppliment when needed and all of my livestock (mostly SPS) is doing great.
    I think the commercial products are fine for smaller tanks, but when you have a large reef with a high calcium demand, you're talking about at least $50 a month in two-part alone.   There's enough other things I need to spend my money on besides overpriced repackaged additives.
    -JB

19. fishogre

fishogre Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    first i dont know that saying they arent safer then homemade, but whatever floats you boat, the main thing saying manufactures and stores over charging, anyone that ever has worked retail would also say that there is a standard markup. You have to be able to pay your bills there is alot of overhead in running a business, exspecially in this industry, think of what you buy and think the stores have to pay all that plus rent wages and things that die, all i have to say thats a good way to support your local stores

20. KDaullary

KDaullary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By fishogre on 12/19/2007 8:00 AM
    first i dont know that saying they arent safer then homemade, but whatever floats you boat, the main thing saying manufactures and stores over charging, anyone that ever has worked retail would also say that there is a standard markup. You have to be able to pay your bills there is alot of overhead in running a business, exspecially in this industry, think of what you buy and think the stores have to pay all that plus rent wages and things that die, all i have to say thats a good way to support your local stores
    Agreed.