1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Power outage plans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, May 18, 2009.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So it's that time of year when tornadoes and severe storms start and that means possible power outages /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/angry.gif  I was just reminded of this today as our power went out even though the sun is shining.  It made me remember I should have brought the battery powered pumps up from the basement (it was very dark there with no lights).  It made me clean the anti-siphon holes in my return pump asap to prevent a flood.........so what are your plans for a power outage?  What have you done to avoid a tank catastrophe?

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a gas generator and I keep 10 gallons of gas on hand. We bought it mainly for the freezer and sump pump, but we bought it oversized so it will provide enough power for circulation pumps and heaters.

--AJ

3. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    generator here too. It's well worth it. Ice storm 2 yrs ago? we were without power for 11 days. Bought generator on the 2nd day.

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Generator here as well. I also got mine due to ice storm 2 years ago but I had it hooked up 3 hours after power went out and ran it the whole time. We were able to stay home and no negative effects on tanks.

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Last year Craig ,xroads, had an excellent post on the homepage about power outages. I added with a few other details. For most of us who do not have generators, it'd be great if it could be pulled up again.