1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Power outage plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Nov 29, 2007.

1. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    How much stuff pulled thru Billy?

2. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/02/2007 10:01 PM
    How much stuff pulled thru Billy?
    Everything in my 29 is fine. In the main display pretty much any colony that was toward the top has major death spread all about it. The mat on my blue tort looks like it will pull through. The bottom edge of the superman and rainbow montis still have polyps, but are mostly bleached, pretty iffy. Both Bob and Ed's prostrata have a little life showing on the bottom edges. Watermelon chalice is a goner, alien eye chalice is as well. Scripps milli dead. Chips acro dead. Efflo dead. pink milli dead. Bonzai dead. tri color dead. greeen w/purple rim cap dead. blueberry tort dead. A few of the above have tiny areas that remained fully underwater through this and will have small patches pull through I think. I will have a better take on my losses Friday when i get home from AZ.
    I have two large zoanthid colonies that were at the top edge of the tank which were entirly unaware anything happened and that they spent the afternoon out of the water in a cold room. Pulsing xenia on the back wall of the tank that were out of the water by three inches, fat and happy pulsing like they were not dry two days ago.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Its amazing how strong some are & others arent. Hope most of it makes it for you

4. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Man that sucks. It's bad when any coral dies but that was quite a few LE's.

I read about some ones heater sticking recently. There tank got up to a 109F. The zoa where fine!

I didn't even know you had an efflo.

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Very Very Sad Billy! This type of thing keeps us all up at night worrying about it. Then someone actually has it happen and the rest of us worry even more. Do you have plans on how to keep it from happening again? That might help the rest of us from having it happen.

6. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/03/2007 10:24 AM
    Man that sucks. It's bad when any coral dies but that was quite a few LE's.
    I read about some ones heater sticking recently. There tank got up to a 109F. The zoa where fine!
    I didn't even know you had an efflo.
    Bought it awhile back in Denver. It was coming along nice. I saw one here, I may end of ordering stuff and if my tank is not recupperated I may be looking for somewhere to put some things for awhile.

7. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 12/03/2007 10:45 AM
    Very Very Sad Billy! This type of thing keeps us all up at night worrying about it. Then someone actually has it happen and the rest of us worry even more. Do you have plans on how to keep it from happening again? That might help the rest of us from having it happen.
    Plan anything you do to fail safe. I should have had the returns higher in the tank or had holes in the lines to break the siphon, instead I relied on a check valve and a generator. My fault with out a doubt. I will have a lot more engineering controls in place when this goes into the basement next year.
    I guess the big thing to remember is murphy's law.

8. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm really sorry that you had such a disaster Billy.  If there is any way I can help you, let me know. 

9. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Is that a hint.
    I know of a roomy 150G that could be used....

10. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/03/2007 4:26 PM
    Is that a hint.
    I know of a roomy 150G that could be used....
    Sure sounded like a hint didn't it[​IMG]

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 12/03/2007 3:51 PM
    I'm really sorry that you had such a disaster Billy.  If there is any way I can help you, let me know. 
    Thanks Robyn. I will be looking for the monti and the milli that I got from you before in the next few weeks. I will get ahold of you when I get everything back where it needs to be.