1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Power outage plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Nov 29, 2007.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if everyone saw this or not but you can track the electrical outages from midamerica and alliant on there webpages

Mid-american - http://www.midamericanenergy.com/storm/ Click on the "LIVE SYSTEM OUTAGE WATCH" button

Alliant - http://www.alliantenergy.com/docs/groups/public/documents/pub/p013332.hcsp

Looks like quite a few people in the QC area are without power. Over 6000 anyway! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

2. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    power was out for an hour and a half here today just came back on, my girlfreind has called every agency possible within the first 5 minutes, i think she thought she might freeze to death before power came back up.

me, i took a nap.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What part of Bettendorf do you live in?  No power outage over here by Old Chicago.

4. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well even the best thought out plan can be foiled by a pump that dont restart and a check valve that leaks. Came home to a tank that was about 8 inches low on water with lots of exposed colonies. So far I have lost a blue tort colony, a raibow monti, a superman monti, chipps acro, rose milli, blue/teal milli, ponape birdsnest, green slimer, and several others are close to death. 
    I am not sure but I think the pump failed to start due to the more square wave output of the generator or what. Looks like I need to find a pump with a higher tolerance to the waveform output of the generator.

5. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im down on grant street, just off the foot of the bridge.

6. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 12/01/2007 4:40 PM
    Well even the best thought out plan can be foiled by a pump that dont restart and a check valve that leaks. Came home to a tank that was about 8 inches low on water with lots of exposed colonies. So far I have lost a blue tort colony, a raibow monti, a superman monti, chipps acro, rose milli, blue/teal milli, ponape birdsnest, green slimer, and several others are close to death. 
    I am not sure but I think the pump failed to start due to the more square wave output of the generator or what. Looks like I need to find a pump with a higher tolerance to the waveform output of the generator.
    DANGIT
    sorry to hear that.
    no way the corals will rebound? couldnt have been out of water long were they?
    sorry buddy.

7. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 12/01/2007 4:45 PM

Posted By BGreenlee on 12/01/2007 4:40 PM
    DANGIT
    sorry to hear that.
    no way the corals will rebound? couldnt have been out of water long were they?
    sorry buddy.
    What was out was for a couple hours. It sucks, but such is life.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear about that Billy.  We'll need to hook you up with some new frags.

9. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Were your lights on when the corals were out of water? Sorry to hear about what happened Billy. I hope what you do have will rebound and that you can find a pump solution.

10. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They had been on for a little bit of that, biggest problem was probably the fact the garage is cool. I have the tanks in the garage while I am working in the basement.

I may just cut my losses until I get moved into the new tank in the basement room.

I did just notice some polyps out on the superman and rainbow, they were right at the level of the water, so hopefully they stayed wet. The base of the blue tort has polyps out as well, I will cut it down to the mat in a little bit.

11. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bgreenlee
    what kind of work are you doing to your basement?

12. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 12/01/2007 5:49 PM
    Bgreenlee
    what kind of work are you doing to your basement?
    Its unfinished. I am finishing it. I have a couple of rooms framed in and wired and ready for sheet rock. I also have part of the fish room done (8' x 17'). I still have to start on the family room section of it. It will be around 1500 finished square feet when done.

13. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where do you live at?

you do know im a drywall finisher dont ya?

14. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Damn billy that sucks!

Why did the tank drain 8"?

15. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 12/01/2007 6:01 PM
    where do you live at?
    you do know im a drywall finisher dont ya?
    I live out in Cambridge, and I did not know you were a finisher. If you are interested in it I might try to hire you for some of the work out here when I get to it.

16. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/01/2007 6:20 PM
    Damn billy that sucks!
    Why did the tank drain 8"?
    the return lines are fairly low in the tank (where low I guess I say). When the pump did not start the water siphoned back down through the pump return line.

17. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Just got ours back on, only out about 4 hours so far. Be patient billy, i saw a video of a bunch of acro that was out of water several hours a day at low tide. They are sometimes tougher then we give them credit for

18. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah just PM me and we will get r dun, hehe.
    no seriously i been doin drywall a long time, i dont hang it, but ill finish the heck out of it.

i do a mean knockdown too.

19. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 12/01/2007 6:56 PM
    Just got ours back on, only out about 4 hours so far. Be patient billy, i saw a video of a bunch of acro that was out of water several hours a day at low tide. They are sometimes tougher then we give them credit for
    thats kinda what i was thinking, they have to have a way of hydrating themselves for a couple hours at least.
    and as far as the cold goes, im sure a coral or two have sat in a cold fedex warehouse for a couple hours and made it.
    hopefully all goes well.

20. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A most appropriate thread for this time of year.  Yesterday we lost power at 3pm just as I was reading GIRS.  After an hour, I was starting to get frantic.  My husband tried to tell me there wasn't anything we could really do and that the tank survived the 12 hour power outage last Feb (when he was home and I was stranded in a hotel room trying to get home from the Rockford Frag Fest.)  I told him that I was very lucky that the tank had survived that 12 outage and that I couldn't just sit and do nothing.  There was at least a 1/2" ice covering everything outside and the whole town of Galva was down.  Last Feb the whole town was not affected.  Against his advice, I got in the car and drove to Kewanee (12 miles away) and bought a 750 watt inverter from Wallyworld.
    When we got it hooked up, the power was down for 5 hours.  I ran my car for 20 mins every hour and was running my 3 powerheads and the return pump and heater.  We had a propane heater in the living room too (for us, not the fish!)  Last time I checked, the tank was holding about 68.  We got our power back at 10 pm.  I was one happy camper (literally ha!)
    Everything seems fine today.  I am counting my blessings and feel safer now that I have some form of backup.  It worked pretty well and cost about $65.00.  The smaller units plug into your cig lighter and can be bought for 35 and 50 I think.