1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Power outage plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Nov 29, 2007.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

They are talking possible ice storm this weekend so do you have a plan  If you do loose power you can hit your local parts store, sears, walmart & buy a power inverter & battery.  it will run a power head & heater for hours.  May also want to grab a pair of jumper cables to recharge that battery with your car.  Also grab a $4 air pump so that you can pump some air into your tank.
    Hopefully we wont have to worry but here are a few ideas just in case.
    Craig

2. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I fully intend to wait 30 seconds until the standby generator comes on and then I shall turn the tv back on.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to run to work and actually buy the generator I have hidden in topstock, and try to avoid a horrible beating on my way out by everyone else that was told we were sold out.

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice move Ryan! I'll be looking over in lawn and garden for yours! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Just kidding!

Thanks for the excellent tips, Craig! If those are not an option, floating bags of hot water along with stirring the tank every now and then also helps. It's a real bummer to have your electricity go out and not knowing when it will come back on again. I experienced it last spring and it sucked! I ended up driving down to Missouri to buy a generatior(not one for sale to be found in the state) after being without electricity for 2 days. As luck would have it, I got a call before going into the store saying that the electricity had come back on. Never wanting to go through that again, I have a brand new generator in the garage. It's a good place for it, I hope it will never see a drop of oil.

5. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My generator ran my fridge,microwave,furnace,hot tub outside,two 300 watt heaters in tank and two powerheads and 1 light in the kitchen and plus my sump pump..... It sounds insane but it didn't. My buddy has the same one and it only ran his sump pump........and sounded like i t was going to blow up.....O"Reilys's( Mispled)389.00

6. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 11/29/2007 9:27 PM
    I fully intend to wait 30 seconds until the standby generator comes on and then I shall turn the tv back on. I agree.  I'll have to go out and start mine though.  Maybe next year I'll put on a remote start [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually that sounds good. Remote start is cheap. Especially when you have an AC3 alerting your phone of a power outtage. A dedicated standby is expensive.

8. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 11/30/2007 1:14 AM
    Actually that sounds good. Remote start is cheap. Especially when you have an AC3 alerting your phone of a power outtage. A dedicated standby is expensive.
    For purchase and installation I have about $3500 tied up in a 15kw generator. I did the installation myself of course. I think that the peace of mind is worthwhile when you consider how expensive it is to loose a tank, a freezer full of meat, frozen water lines, etc. Plus it adds quite a bit of value to the house which is a pretty good bonus as well.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I thought about it but we made our house 100% electric so no gas generator

10. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 11/30/2007 5:24 AM
    I thought about it but we made our house 100% electric so no gas generatorIt would bump your costs up, but you could install a propane tank, or bite the bullet and run a dedicated gas line for it. Not sure what you minimum gas bill would be though.

11. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am out in the sticks, so no gas line. I designed the house so all you see is the house. There are no light poles, no tank, no sheds, just house & trees.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 11/30/2007 5:16 AM

Posted By ryansholl on 11/30/2007 1:14 AM
    For purchase and installation I have about $3500 tied up in a 15kw generator. I did the installation myself of course. I think that the peace of mind is worthwhile when you consider how expensive it is to loose a tank, a freezer full of meat, frozen water lines, etc. Plus it adds quite a bit of value to the house which is a pretty good bonus as well.
    Oh, I didn't mean to say that a dedicated standby isn't the way to go.  It most certainly is.  A portable with a method of starting it from afar and a way to know your power is out would be a close 2nd. 

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No sweat here, my tanks are in the basement.  I have a woodburning stove down there, a shed filled with wood no prob getting the basement to 80, I also have battery powered air pumps on hand.

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I plan to build little hamster wheels for my cleaner shrimp to run on and connect them up to generators.

My tank will be self powering then...  [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I dont need those, I have 4 kids & a wife that I can hook generators up to stationary bikes.

16. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 11/29/2007 9:27 PM
    I fully intend to wait 30 seconds until the standby generator comes on and then I shall turn the tv back on.
    I hate you!!

17. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I got you all beat!  I sold my tank so I don't have to worry about it!  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/cool.gif
    Seriously though we're planning on building a new house in the next couple years and we've already both decided after last winter that we're going to be installing an automatic genset like Billy was talking about.
    Rember this too!  If your whole town is without electricity you can't get GAS for your generator!!!  It happened here last year!  We had to drive over 30 miles just to find a place where we could get gas for our car!  Make sure you have some on hand!
    Good luck everyone and just hope we don't even all have to worry about this! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/blink.gif

18. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    colman lantern and propane tank with a propane heater is all i have to fall back on.

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So does everyone still have power? It's pretty quiet around here...
    Not that someone without power could answer that... /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

20. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    So far so good up here!
    KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crazy.gif
    We did have one little flicker so far but that's it so far.