1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Powder blue tang not doing well

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Jan 26, 2009.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure what happened.  She looked great a day ago and was eating like crazy, but last night I found a bunch of nips out of her fins and she was just resting at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily.   I saw her and the clownfish chase eachother once in a while, but nothing major.  I think maybe she got really stressed out and got a bacterial infection?  That's all I can think of.  So I'm going to get some antibiotics this morning and hope she pulls through.  I'm not very optimistic though.  She's kind of on her side, breathing really heavy and will do a death roll whenenver another fish swims by her in the QT.  It's very sad /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif  Params of the QT are all really good (.25 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, pH 8.2).  I add a little ammolock every night so I'm not worried about the ammonia.  Plus they've done great in there for the past month!  Just sucks to have this happen a day before I was supposed to put them back in.

2. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would transfer the other fish to the main tank and leave the powder blue in QT for further observation. It sounds like they have had enough of the tiny tank and someone is bullying her. Does she have somewhere to hide in QT and feel safe? Turn off the light and let her relax.

I have never used ammolock, but I would consider a water change over the next few days. Just do it peacefully.

That is my 2 cents...take it for what its worth. I also have an extra 10gal tank if needed.

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I put all of the others back in the main tank. They're all super healthy, eating, breathing fine, and no signs of ick or stress. I did another 50% this morning because the ammo was 2ppm (ammolock is good up to 3ppm). I did one last night too, just in case the water was bad, although the params were great. I also threw in some maramycin-2 just in case she has a bacterial infection. I'm hoping she pulls through! Let me know when you frag that green bird's nest bret.  There are two 4" 90 degree bend PVC pipes in the QT with an airstone and a filter pack rated for 30g (it's a 15g tub).

4. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just pulled my powder blue out of my tank a week or so ago, have no idea what happened, I've had it about 6 mos.---all was ok, didn't see it swimming around so I looked closer and there it was on the bottom.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you get yours from Hung too? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif Kinda pissed at him for telling me to not QT it and then it got ick 3 days later, and within 5 my whole tank had it. Hopefully when I go in to talk to him about this today (If the fish died...) He makes up for his mistake.

6. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 01/26/2009 12:14 PM
    Did you get yours from Hung too? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif Kinda pissed at him for telling me to not QT it and then it got ick 3 days later, and within 5 my whole tank had it. Hopefully when I go in to talk to him about this today (If the fish died...) He makes up for his mistake.
    We can not blame vendors for our poor decisions.  Ultimately we are responsible for what goes in our tanks and how it gets there.  This is no more Hung's fault then it is mine.  We must do our research when making additions to our tank.  Now with that said, I do feel for you, as I have made a few mistakes when making additions to my tank as I did not take the time to properly research something and resorted to taking the advice of someone at an LFS. 
    There are people who are very successful without having a QT tank set up.  So this is just another case of we need to learn from our mistakes and make sure we do not repeat them in the future.

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah no, When I ask Hung 5 times if he's really sure that I don't need to QT the fish and he tells me, "No, it will be fine without QT," I blame him. If he even said once that it needed to be QTed there'd be no question. I put the fish in because I trusted his livestock and judgment.

8. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Powders are notorious for going down from ich. Even if they don't have it for a long amount of time putting them under stress, such as relocating them, can cause them to get it. Wet web media has a lot of info on them.

9. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 01/26/2009 02:11 PM
    Ah no, When I ask Hung 5 times if he's really sure that I don't need to QT the fish and he tells me, "No, it will be fine without QT," I blame him. If he even said once that it needed to be QTed there'd be no question. I put the fish in because I trusted his livestock and judgment.
    You say you ask him 5 times, sounds to me like you really knew better then to take that advice in the first place. 
    You can blame him all you want and you can go down there and confront him if you like and think it will make you feel better.  However, I do not think, you will get much out of it. 
    You are going to get all types of advice from people in this hobby and from what I have found out through my own efforts in this hobby is there really isn't a wrong answer to a lot of this stuff.  There really is only a "well it works for me".  Now there are some sound actions you can take to reduce some of the risk, and QT's are one of them.
    Blaming him will not bring the fish back, Nor do I believe it will get you another replacement fish (at least for free anyway).  You would be better served by taking this as a lesson learned for the next time around instead of pursuing this course of action, as we all know, unless you have a written guarantee on a survival time of your fish there isn't one.  Ick is associated with stress.  How is anyone going to know what kind of stress-ors are associated with your tank but you.

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, he values his customers. I have spent over $500 in the last 6 months there and being a smart businessman he realizes that giving someone a discount on the next fish is the proper business practice. This is why I shop with Hung. He stands behind his livestock and when he makes a mistake he fixes it.

Now, Cyber, if you want to defend an LFS for giving its patrons bad advice and accidentally selling them sick animals, that's your right, but it makes absolutely no logical sense. Businesses that sell bad products and don't back them up disappear very quickly. It's called customer satisfaction. Hung knows what he's doing from a saltwater and a business stand point. That's why he's arguably the best in the area.

"How is anyone going to know what kind of stress-ors are associated with your tank but you."

Well, when it happens within 3 days of the purchase and the tank was ick free for 8 months with perfect params, I can gather that the parasite came in on the most recent addition.

When did I say I wanted a free fish out of the deal? I just wanted a discount on the next one. I paid $85 for a fish that should have cost $40. I asked him for his cost on the next fish and he said that sounded reasonable.

11. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    try getting him to swim by putting your hand next to him, if he still swims in circles its not bacterial but a popped swim bladder

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    She was dead when I got home today. Thanks for the advice though Fnvarner. All the others look happy in the display tank and they all ate today so that's good news. My Blue hippo tang ran into and got stuck in a cluster of my sps when I put her back in so she has a couple of scratches on her, but nothing that won't heal in a couple of days.

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So apparently some people though I was ranting, putting down Hung, and completely blaming him for the death of my fish. I was not. Yes I was upset and I'm not very happy I had to QT my whole tank for a month only to have the fish that started the initial infestation die, BUT I'm not blaming Hung for this. It was an oversight on both of our parts, and that is why I am not asking him for a free fish or angrily confronting him about it. You can't blame him for trusting his product. He's been rock solid on his advice and his livestock up to this MINOR issue and he has FIXED the problem. I don't really see how this thread smeared him or threw him under bad light. If anything I think it shows he's a great business man who cares about his customers and runs an honest operation. I apologize if anything I said made it sound otherwise.

14. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NO, I got mine from Bill in Manchester---I QT everything I get no matter who the vender is. I had to laugh at the one who said they have spent $500 in the last 6mos. with Hung, YOU DIDNT GET MUCH, DID YOU?

15. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hung's prices aren't that bad. I'd say they're on par with everywhere else in the state, but he has nicer stuff then most places around here. In Ames live rock goes for 10$ a pound at the ONLY place here that sells it, and it's crappy live rock.

16. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hung's prices are very reasonable for live stock. I have gotten all of my livestock there ~$300 (3 chromis, a pair of clowns, blue hippo tang, 5 peppermint shrimp, bubble tip anemone, yellow long nose butterfly, and the powder blue tang), my clean-up crew for the past 6 months ~$200, and a few pieces of soft coral, ~$100. Rock there is very expensive ~13/lb, but that's about it. His salt is on par with petsolutions/dr fosters, and his food is very reasonable too. He's also an extremely nice guy. I go in there about twice a week just to chat with him. You really can't beat his service. Where do you shop dblwide? You can't get fish on-line for cheaper than his prices.

17. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like to do most my shopping at Pets Playhouse in CR h2so. I've picked up a few things from Hung, I like the guy too, wish I could afford to have him come and set up a 125 for me, his tanks are amazing! also wish he opened a bit earlier. I think Renae at Mad Hat Pets here in Waterloo is on the right track to cleaning up the store she bought ( The old Emporium Pets ) it was a PIT at the time she purchased it!

18. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hung's good friends with the guy at Pet's Playhouse. I can't believe how many tanks Hung maintains or that people pay him $75+ every 2 weeks for a cleaning. Maybe when I get rich I could afford to have that kind of service... He does have great tanks though.