1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Potential Schedule

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by CyberJester, Jan 12, 2009.

1. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all, who keeps hitting the snow button!
    I am working on a prelim schedule for the Cedar Rapids area.
    Now this is by no means final, in fact I can see this shifting alot as I poll for the best dates for everyone.
    Also, I have not had anytime to speak with Caleb (other CR trustee) on these.  Anyway thought I would just put what I had up so you guys could comment on it, please let me know what you honestly think.
    Do you want more events or less?
    More socials or less?
    Other types of activities.
    Etc....
    The more input I have from you all the better I can plan activities.
    Sorry I have not posted much, I was out of town through the Christmas break, then had to play the catch up game you all know how it is.
    Anyway here is what I have so far.
    Saturday January 24, 2009
    Event: Cedar Rapids Social
    Topic: fun
    Place: Bowling
    Time: 7:00 – 9:00 PM
    Sunday January 25, 2009
    Event: Reefside Chat
    Topic: Skimmer's
    Place: GIRs Chat (online Event)
    Sunday February 8, 2009
    Topic: Water Parameters & Coral Growth
    Saturday February 14, 2009 Sunday February 15, 2009
    Event: Meeting & Demonstration
    Topic: Tentitive (DIY Calcium Reactors)
    Place: TBD
    Time: 2:00 – 5:00PM
    Sunday March 1, 2009
    Topic: Aqaruium Husbandry & Livestock discussion
    Friday March 6, 2009
    Event: Cedar Rapids Social
    Topic: Fun
    Place: Beckett’s
    Time: 5:00 – 8:00PM
    Sunday March 15, 2009
    Topic: Aquarium Tools & how we use them.
    Saturday March 21, 2009
    Event: Tank Tour
    Topic: ---
    Place: IC/CR area
    Time: 1:00 -4:30PM
    Saturday April 4, 2009
    Event: Commercial Tanks & setups
    Topic: Tour event
    Place: Fish stores around the area
    Time: TBD
    Saturday June, 21, 2009
    Event: Cedar Rapids GIRs Family Picnic
    Topic: Enjoyment & Games
    Place: Knollridge Park
    Time: 1:00 – 4:00PM
    Sunday July 19, 2009
    Event: Cedar Rapids GIRs Charity Frag Auction & Possible Raffle
    Topic: Donate Frags to auction to members to raise funds for a charity of choosing by the area members
    Place: TBD
    Time: 11:00AM – 3:00PM

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nice work Jeremy, but one problem sticks out like a sore thumb.

How many divorces and/or breakups are you trying to cause? I don't think I'm going to be able to do February 14th. For some reason that date comes to mind as "not available for aquarium related activities" for me... :)

-JB

3. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whoops, thank's JB, you may have just saved me one.[​IMG]
    Could try to pull the old excuss, I love you so much honey I am leaving you the house to yourself! [​IMG] (ok, maybe that won't work).
    Alright, thanks for the catch on that one JB.  I will look at the calander and reschedule that event.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy,

One additional thing we might want to add to the Cedar Rapids schedule is the May 12th EIAA meeting. I am going to be presenting a saltwater topic for them that month. It will be something along the lines of "The Basics of a Successful Reef Tank".

-JB

5. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 01/12/2009 12:05 PM
    Jeremy,
    One additional thing we might want to add to the Cedar Rapids schedule is the May 12th EIAA meeting. I am going to be presenting a saltwater topic for them that month. It will be something along the lines of "The Basics of a Successful Reef Tank".
    -JB
    Ok will do, I'll incorporate it into the schedule.

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see a schedule posted. I've been getting jealous seeing the schedules from the other areas... :) The Des Moines area has a great list of topics and I would love to cover the topics they have listed. I would also like to do the DIY food night. Is anyone else in the CR area interested in doing this? Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about reefing this year!

--AJ

7. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By apjohnson on 01/12/2009 05:32 PM
    Glad to see a schedule posted. I've been getting jealous seeing the schedules from the other areas... :) The Des Moines area has a great list of topics and I would love to cover the topics they have listed. I would also like to do the DIY food night. Is anyone else in the CR area interested in doing this? Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about reefing this year!
    --AJ I went and looked at the DM schedule and currently the only two meeting topics I see is "lighting" and "skimmers".
    We could do this as Reefside Chat discussion on the GIRs chat system on Sunday night.
    I don't have a topic yet for this coming Sunday.  Do you have a preference on which one of these we do first?
    I was kind of trying to save the actual physical meetings for more hands on type of stuff, like building a skimmer or lighting array's.
    Saw somewhere that you could build a decent skimmer out of coke bottles, which would be a handy type of hands on event that is useful.  In the event that your skimmer gets a crack or a leak, so you could still have something.
    Would putting this in the Sunday night chat session be acceptable to you?
    Anyway thanks for the input. 
    This is only a schedule for the first 4 months, so there is still plenty of room to add more topics. 

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess I was referring to the list of topics in their survey and not on their schedule (http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aff/10/aft/15252/afv/topic/Default.aspx). That's 13 topics, all of which I think would make for interesting conversation....but there's lots of people in the CR area, I'm just one voice. I'm fine to do these in whatever format works best. I hope that some of the other CR/IC area folks chime in with their preferences.

--AJ

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  9. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By apjohnson on 01/13/2009 09:46 AM
    I guess I was referring to the list of topics in their survey and not on their schedule (http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/aff/10/aft/15252/afv/topic/Default.aspx). That's 13 topics, all of which I think would make for interesting conversation....but there's lots of people in the CR area, I'm just one voice. I'm fine to do these in whatever format works best. I hope that some of the other CR/IC area folks chime in with their preferences.
    --AJ
    I hope people will chime in as well, I am not the President or VP or anything like that.
    My purpose here is to schedule and organize the activities that you guys want to have.
    I can only schedule the things I would like to see if I do not get input from you all.
    I want this to be your club, and to do the activities that the folks in this area want to do.
    So, by all means keep the ideas coming.  At worst we will not do them, at best they will be the best events we ever had.
    We will try to do the skimmer topic in chat this sunday and see how it goes, if it does not work well, then we will move them into a physical type of event.
    I will look at the DSM survey and try to incorporate some of these things into the schedule!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  10. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice work jeremy! we would also like to make diy food...buy ingredients, everyone bring some cash, ruin a blender, and go home with some food.

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man I cant Wait to get things started this year!!
    I'm all for the food thing.

12. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I will insert the DIY food into the schedule.
    Might be best for this activity if we assign ingredents to each person then everyone takes some home.

13. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i usually get a lot of frozen foods at Saigon Market at 803 2nd Ave SE in CR. it saves me a lot of money when i can get a big thing of baby octopus for $1.19

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's a great idea...never thought about that.  What fish in your tank like the octopus?
    --AJ