1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Possible donations for the Muscatine Public Library`s Reef Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REEFer Madness, Mar 20, 2009.

1. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have been in contact with Betty Collins, who is the Youth Services Librarian, this past week about a doing a reef aquarium at the Muscatine Public Library.  She just emailed me after meeting with the board of the Library and it's on.  They are planning to do re-arrangements with the library this summer and this proposal I brought up will be fit into their plans.
    With this tank, will be a portfolio of what the tank contains and it's basic information and donated by who.
    For example.  David has offered a rock with mushrooms.  So in the live stock section will be a page with the picture, some info of the species and "Donated by David: Waterloo Trustee for G.I.R.S"   Also, B-Rad has offered to build a protein skimmer for it also.  So we are already getting started!
    With the tank and portfolio will be G.I.R.S. contact information, event updates, business cards to be taken, and anything of the sort.  So if word gets around and people who usually never go to the library go in to check it out, maybe we can get some more members.
    Finally, this tank will be making it's home in the Children's section.  Think of the kids!
    I am asking for any donations to this tank that will be set up this summer.  (Please hold any live stock until the tank is cycled)  I am working on the first details now as I just replied to her email not ten minutes ago.
    I am going to try to get a tank donated by a business or company, that of course it my main worry.  I'd like to at least get a 90 to fit as much equipment in the stand as possible.  But everything is up in the air right now.
    As for details, the build may be an area event.  I would like it to be to show the library staff and big wigs that there really is a club behind me on this.  Maybe in just a couple of hours a few of us could set up the tank, get the plumbing done and have it running with just water in it, then work on the rock and live stock as needed.
    I will take care of regular maintaince of the tank.  Water testing, water changes and what not.  They will assign someone to feed it daily.
    I am really ecstatic about this and hope everything goes well.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Awesome!

I can donate some LR, & maybe some clownfish & corals.

3. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Craig!

I'm thinking it's mainly going to be a softie tank with zoas. I'm hoping to get light strong enough an anemone and get some clowns that'll host it.

I'm have a lot of Bill's (einsteins) awesome green star polyps growing for the tank, a dozen heads of frog spawn, and possibly a long spine urchin. It just matters what size of a tank I can get a hold of.

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Andrew we can use my 30g for the sump.

You should ask to see if we can setup a jar at the front desk explaining the plans and asking for donations for the project, and we should talk to them about having school Field trips, when the kids learn about the coral reefs in school!
    Then we can talk to the school board to get things set up.

5. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a great idea Rick. I'll email that idea to Betty. Morgan's mom is the librarian at Washington School, so I can have her back that idea up.

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Andrew did you get my pm? not sure it went!

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A 90g? That'd be nice! Who is going to pay for all of the incidentals? Like water change salt? Kalk or two part? Food? Water? I like the idea! Just hope they can afford the upkeep!

8. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rick: I got no new PM's, maybe JB is working on the site or something.

That's why I want it to be mainly a softie tank. So I don't have too technical with it. The rest are details I have mentioned and working with them.

9. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be happy to donate some softies.......toadstool, anthelia, palys and some various zoas. Just let me know when the tank is ready for things :)

10. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Fawn!

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll donate some stuff too. I don't have much, but I have some zoas and palys that I'll donate.

--AJ

12. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    with all the corals they will be getting donated, they may be able to make enough money to cover their maintenance just by selling frags.

13. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should have some acans to donate and to sell on the site in the next week or two. Depending on the lighting at the library

14. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. It's nice to see everyone willing to help.

This may go even further than what I have first thought. I will be working on a presentation package to show to local businesses to see if I can get cash donations for the expensive stuff.

15. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll donate softies, although I don't have that many!

16. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got some Cany Cane I can frag off for it. Shaun