1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Solved Advice? Poor mans A.W.C.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tbraz, Nov 20, 2016.

1. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My tank is coming right along and today i added my bata version of an auto water changer. Being the sole provider of a family of 5 and with christmas right around the corner I couldn't go out and spend $300 on a DOS so I came up with a much cheaper and i think easier set up using my Apex, a couple of extra maxijets i had and the float switch for my ATO, here's my programing

My NewSaltWaterPump
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 17:05 to 17:16 Then ON
    If Sw6 CLOSED Then OFF

My DrainPump
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 17:00 to 17:03 Then ON

My ATO
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw6 OPEN Then ON
    If Outlet DrainPump = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet NSWPump = ON Then OFF

I might be switching to an aqualifter and i have a few more float switches to add as back up but i'm looking forward to having 1 less thing to worry about.

2. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Clever! How much water does it take out in that time?

3. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The first fun was about 5 gallons, so i backed it down a bit, i'm trying to get my nitrates down so i'll shooting for about 3 gallons a day

4. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Very nice

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    If that works then great. I love having an auto water change setup. Once less thing to worry about and more time to enjoy the hobby, plus if done correctly the parameters remain extremely stable. No swings caused by large water changes.
    I would not recommend the DOS for auto water change though. The pump head just isn't heavy duty enough for that particular task. I just had my second set break themselves to pieces. Thin, brittle plastic just breaks apart from the constant flexing on the heads, they lose volume as it cracks then completely stop working when pieces start actually breaking out. First set lasted about 9 months when I noticed hairline cracking and big volume changes. This set was only a couple more than that, but I let them go until they completely feel apart and stopped working. Really cheaply made if you take the time to look it over it and think about the forces it takes to move the water. I'm thinking of trying to make some kind of an adapter and put a proven design head on the thing. I really like that it's integrated with the apex, the motors I'm sure are heavy duty, albeit very loud at full speed, just the heads are the weak design for heavy duty use like several gallon water changes per day.

6. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    A used dual head masterflex pump, with the heads that can handle different tubing size, was one of my best purchases. I use it now for FW water changes since I don't have any large SW systems currently.

7. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    1 hiccup today, during testing everything was fine but when it kicked on today at 5 for whatever reason it didn't break siphon like it did yesterday so i moved the pump from inside the overflow to the sump, luckily i was home watching it and i'll be keeping an eye on it. I think i'll switch it from time to a push button until i'm 100% sure it'll work without a hitch

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Can you set tubing depth, and pump depth so that it can only pump out so much before it sucks air, and therefore breaks siphon?

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Those are the heads I was going to look and see if I can adapt to the DOS. If I can I think i'll have a damn nice setup.

10. tbraz

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    i have the line running out a former wood stove vent and it was pretty equal to the height of the tank, its all up hill from the sump so it should be fine, i'll feel a lot better when my other float switches get in though, and its high enough in the sump that it can only pull so much water before it starts sucking air