1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Polyps are disappearing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coral_bandit, Nov 19, 2009.

1. coral_bandit

coral_bandit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Galaxy Coral has been doing fine with new growth for almost 5 weeks now. I had 30-40 polyps and most of the disappeared from last night to now. My hermits were picking at my fully open polyps and something keeps knocking it off a rock. There are thousands of hermits swarming where the coral was, but there's no algae there and they arte just chilling. I'm keeping the coral solitary in a feeding container. Any idea what would cost mass polyp die out? They just vanished and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  The outskirts of the coral are dead and the mass central is yet to die. I have about 8 polyps in the center left.
    Params are No3-0 No2-0 Ca2+-440 NH3-0 Ph-8.3

2. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    O and forgot I feed it every other day/ daily. At least 4-5 out of 7 days a week

3. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is this the only LPS you have in the tank? What are you feeding it?

4. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's why I hate hermit crabs, they probably started picking at it and caused rapid tissue necrosis(RTN). I personally removed all my hermits a couple months ago and haven't had a coral knocked over since.

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By adampottebaum on 11/19/2009 06:49 PM
    That's why I hate hermit crabs, they probably started picking at it and caused rapid tissue necrosis(RTN). I personally removed all my hermits a couple months ago and haven't had a coral knocked over since. IMO it's more likely they are just eating the dead tissue.   I've never seen a hermit crab attack a healthy coral and I've had a variety of them in my tank for the last 3 years.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    +1 Theyre only eating the tissue thats already dead/decaying. The problem lies elsewhere.

7. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    feeding phytoplankton and bbs. I put it in isolation since yesterday and the polyps are happy. But only one or two that dissapeared are back partially.

8. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I didn't mean it like that, sorry. I just have had problems with crabs so many times in the past that I have grown to hate them!

Were the crabs walking across the galaxy coral? Maybe this caused the polyps to be irritated and caused them to shrink up and look like they were dying?

I had a nice galaxy coral a long time ago and I had hermits at the time and they always crawled over it. The polyps would be out one minute and then sucked in the next, it was never consistent. The coral was knocked off the rock that I thought it was secured on and when I noticed it the next morning the whole thing RTN'd.

Hope the isolation works for you!

Adam