1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Polyp extension....at night?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rverbeck, Jun 4, 2008.

1. rverbeck

rverbeck Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So here about 2-3 weeks ago I upgraded to a 48" NEP on a 75g from PC lighting. Prior to the switch my Toadstool had started loosing full polyp extension. That was about 2 weeks before I got the light. Still today, I do not get the beautiful full polyp extension plus the toadstool is a lot darker than normal. But when the lights go out, I get the full extension for about 2 hours and a great coloration. I'm not getting it. The only thing I can think is that the PC lighting wasn't enough, and the T-5 lighting is too much for where it is sitting. (Just so you know I have it about halfway up the tank. I got a spaghetti finger leather that is about the same distance up and is doing great). Any advice or opinions would be great.

2. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you shorten the light cycle when you went to the new lights? I expect it might be getting a little too much a little too quickly from the PC to the T5.

3. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was always under the impression PC were better than T-5 am i wrong?

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    T5 are more powerful and are capable of producing enough light to keep SPS.
    For the most part PC are not.

If you are considering T5 to replace Halides be sure that you like the look of a T5 lit tank. I personally dont like the all T5 look at all, but its all a matter of opinion and make sure you get enough T5 fixtures to light the tank properly.

eins