1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Plumbing Question re: dual overflows and a sump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Jan 27, 2009.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So for those of you who have dual overflows and a sump, how do you have your plumbing hooked up as it enters the sump from the main tank?  
    Do you have each overflow empty into one chamber in the sump (so one overflow would have to sort of "backtrack" to one end of the sump) or do you have each overflow empty into different chambers in the sump?  How do you like your set-up, ie drawbacks/benefits of how your plumbing is set-up?

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here are some pictures of my sump. It's a built-in 75g acrylic sump and the tank is 135g with dual overflows. The sump is partitioned off into 4 chambers:

[​IMG]

Far left chamber:
    [​IMG]

Far right chambers:
    [​IMG]

Far right chamber with small box in upper corner:
    [​IMG]

and this is what the baffles/walls look like in between the chambers:
    [​IMG]

I'm wondering if I really need 4 compartments? Any recommendations on how I should set up the flow into the sump? I have an external return pump, btw, but I would be willing to get an internal one if it would make things any easier.........

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My lines run down to a manifold that allows me to run as much unfiltered water to my skimmer as it can handle, then it goes to the sump. The access over flow that the skimmer cant take just flows to the sump filters.
    By doing this I will be able to extend the life of my filters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope this helps!
    -Rick-

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Phishcrazee is there a hole in the sump to run the water to your external return pump?

You could use one chamber for a refugium, one for a deep sand bed, or more live rock.

Is your skimmer internal or external?
    From what I can see the far right chambers upper box is were I would drop the water into 1st, and let it flow from there.
    If you have an internal skimmer I would put it in the right chamber below the upper box, if theres room or leave that one empty and put the skimmer in the next one to the left.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I went digging down in the box that had the skimmer  and parts in it and found an envelope with 2 pictures of the previous set-up /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif  There is some writing around the edge of the picture on the first picture...... the pictures are not the best especially the second one of the skimmer and pump (very blurry, but you get the gist of it).  I do plan on having a refugium somewhere in the sump.
    How it was set-up before I bought it:
    [​IMG]
    Skimmer and external pump set-up.  Skimmer is an Aqua-C:
    [​IMG]

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    B-Rad, I want my tank plumbing to look as slick as yours /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did the person who previously owned your tank die? Wouldn't it be much easier to just call them up and ask how it was set-up?

I run both my overflows to a single chamber in my sump. One overflow has to travel an extra foot to get to the chamber.

8. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only have their email and I haven't heard back from them /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sucks. I hate people like that.

10. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I bought the tank 10 months ago and people get busy, change emails move, emails get spammed, etc. so I can understand.  I'll figure something out in the end :)

11. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How about a set-up like this?  Don't laugh at my sketching abilities :)  I'm open to criticism :)
    [​IMG]
    I would place the skimmer on the left, outside the sump) and it would take water that first comes from the tank (the dirtiest water) return it to the first chamber as well, so some of the returned water will get re-sent to the skimmer and worked over 2-3x before it moves on, but I figure that's probably a good thing.
     Middle chamber is a fuge and the final chamber is for the return pump.  The chambers are graduated, with the lowest being the far right chamber, so the sump will be able to handle access water.
    The water leaves the tank and drops directly below from the left overflow and has to travel under the tank from the right overflow to empty into the first chamber.

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I like your sketch. It's actually really nice. Don't be like me and forget to put in an extra bubble trap baffle before your return pump! Otherwise you'll have to get creative with filter socks, or enjoy micro bubbles in your display!

13. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    You def need a baffle right before the return pump to trap bubbles. The baffle wall should be set 2" higher than the water level, and also about 1" above the bottom, so that water flows underneath it.

Also, I would use the overflow holes as they should....one return and one drain in each overflow. I really don't like the hang over the edge return at all. You are going to have horrible gurgling noises with the way you sketched it. You are allowing too much air into the system with all the t's. I would incorporate the durso stand pipe as well.

If you want, we are literally 39 minutes door to door. Take Vine st south, hit 218 south. You can see my setup and get some ideas.

14. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    also you may want to see if your skimmer is submersible, and if it is drop that in your sump, if there is room under there.

15. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, it looks like the skimmer is submersible, so I think I would just move it into the first chamber on the far left.  I could use my submersible mag drive 7 for the skimmer; I have it as a return pump on my 75g now.  That should work well, it looks like it would fit and it would save me some plumbing work and lessen the risk of a flood via the skimmer.
    The reason I want to use both holes from the overflows is because of Jeff's/Ball's tank set-up :)  It's incredibly quiet; it's really impressive.  Here's the thread where he explains it:
    LINK