1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Plumbing question-Can you remove cemented parts again?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Feb 2, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want to replace a ball valve, which is d*** near impossible to shut off, with a gate valve.  Is there a way to remove the old valve from the pipe it's connected to, break the bond?  If I can't easily remove it, I'll probably just attach the new valve below the current PITA valve and just never use the old valve.

2. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you used PVC glue there is no way to "undo" the bond. Your best bet is to get a coupler, new valve and a chunk of pipe and replace it. Make sure you test each valve at the store to make sure they work smoothly. Each one is different. Menards are even different than Home Depot's.

Good Luck!

3. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no you will have to cut it off and use a union to make up for the lost pipe or just replace from the gate valve down.

ive heard of people heating pvc up to break the bond, but it seems kinda dumb to me considering the cost of pvc and fittings.

4. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    you do have to cut it and use connectors to apply a new chunk of pipe, what the glue does is melt the 2 pieces together

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 02/02/2008 5:01 PM
    no you will have to cut it off and use a union to make up for the lost pipe or just replace from the gate valve down.
    ive heard of people heating pvc up to break the bond, but it seems kinda dumb to me considering the cost of pvc and fittings.
    Ball valves get very expensive up around 2"
    Never done it, but can see the advantage if it actually works.

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To save the ball valve I have cut them out and then popped the pvc out and sanded it down, but it still requires cutting it out of line.