1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Please ID my critters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruggerkc, Oct 4, 2009.

1. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    This dude is about 1/4" there are tons of them most much smaller.[​IMG]

2. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    3 questions in this pic.
    Are those red bugs on the pvc?
    Is that clerpara a type I should get rid of? Will it get from the fuge to the display?[​IMG]

3. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    First pic looks like a pod to me. Not sure whats on the PVC..almost looks like coraline but the pic is a little blurry

4. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    first pic is an amphipod,great little critters!!! not sure on the second pic.

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    those are red flat worms in the second pic

6. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    those are definately flat worms and most wrasse and damsels will eat them.

7. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    quote]those are red flat worms in the second pic

I was pretty sure that was what they were. That sucks.[

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The first picture is of a Copepod, they are a great sign of a maturing tank. I really wish i had some popping up in my 29 gallon.

Those flatworms are nothing, as they are easy to treat for, especially when you don't have that many yet. Just dose the tank with Flat Worm Exit or like Nick said, some wrasses eat them. I know Flat Worm Exit Works great on getting rid of these guys. I actually have an extra unopened box if you want it. You do NEED to do something about them, they get out of control VERY quickly. I have seen entire tanks covered with them, so bad it looked like there was orange algae or something growing over EVERYTHING. Treat them now or you will be sorry.

Also, the caulerpa in the pic is feather caulerpa, as long as you have a good strainer on your return pump, it shouldn't get up into the display. Personally, I would never use caulerpa in a refugium ever again. But I did have it in my last setup and it never got up into the display.

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    FYI, I don't think Flatworm exit is all that effective. Either that or there are some varieties of the red flatworms are resistant. However, they do make great six line wrasse food. I don't think they cause any real problems other than being a bit of an eye sore if you let them get out of control.

-JB

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A couple of years back I had a really "nice" population of flat worms before I even realized I had them. It was suggested that I use flat worm exit but I"m not that keen on using chemicals if I can avoid it. It was also suggested that I could syphon them out (even with a turkey baster) and that is what I did..........religiously for several weeks. Got them everytime I saw them and eventually they were all gone. AND I had TONS of them. I would also suggest the wrasse as they are cool animals anyway.

11. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    JB: that's a very good possibility, I know using it x3 the recommended dosage eradicated my Red Planaria population very quickly in a single treatment.

I guess If they aren't "out of control" yet, give a wrasse a try, but when your tank is completely infested and everything is orange using chemicals is going to be the only option.

12. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i had a heavy infection in a tank once and added a yellow damsel and didnt feed him for like 2 weeks and he cleared em all out. But of course not feeding isnt an option for most cause other fish. But reducing the amount is. And for the people getting mad i know it pry wasnt a good idea but he is still alive and healthy people.

13. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The top pic is an amphipod...great sign of an established reef. The second pic is Planaria, I agree with JB and Robyn...in small populations I wouldn't worry as they will most likely fade away on there own given time. If they do become a nussiance I would manually siphon as many as possible each time you do a water change and possibly introduce a wrasse. If water changes are rare checkout MelevsReef.com.. He had a pretty good way to siphon without having to dump the water. If you use FWE when you have a very large amount they can release toxins that may cause problems.

14. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Thanks for the help every one. I think I will get a wrasse. I can't believe the caulerpa and flat worms came back after the rock was essentially cooked for a year.

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Was it ever dried?  Or just taken from the tank and put in a separate container to cook for the year?  I have had some rock in complete darkness for four months or so and there is still a wirey, turf like macro algae growing on it.  I think I'm going to dry it out for a month and start it over.
    --AJ

16. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    It was kept wet.