1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

plans for the area

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by gburkart, Jan 31, 2016.

1. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    thought maybe if i posted this we could have a place for ideas for some monthly meeting ideas or plans.i know in the business meeting it was said that some things were in the works.just be nice to kinda of know whats coming up for this region.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I just realized I had not posted about this though I know you knew about it:

CR/IC Region Trustees!

Thanks for starting the thread @gburkart@gburkart, always good to know who wants to see some events! I think a good thing to start with is knowing who is active here, or maybe others who are still reefkeepers but maybe aren't on here much but would come to an event if they know about it.

So if you are in the region and you know of another GIRS member or another reefkeeper, etc, tag them here so that we can get them back in the loop.

3. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    i would go to events if my schedule allows it for sure,but i can only do things later in the day and everything lately around here has started around noon like the xmas party.i dont excpect anything to be planed for my life,but once in awhile like when kyle was around,evening stuff is cool to lol

4. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
  5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  6. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    @Region: Cedar Rapids & Iowa City.. As far as plans go I was hoping for all that come to the february tank tour we make sure to get input from people on what events they want to see happen. Im thinking the march event will be a diy coral viewer meeting and the next meeting will be either a diner hangout or something we put together based on input from members.

7. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    But I think this is a great idea @gburkart@gburkart. Our main mission here is to see more involvement from members in the area and find out who is active and/or get more people active.

8. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    crazy lady and myself are not people persons,and i dont know any of you,we seldom leave our house cept to work or ride my bike or to do some shopping,we dont socialize with others or go to bars.so for my self and crazy lady,the little events around here from girs are a nice little change of pace for us.i certainly appreciate them and the work that goes on to do them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    @gburkart@gburkart We also discussed quite a bit at the X-mas party. I know you were planning on coming to that, but missed out.
    I think having this thread is a great way for more people to input ideas, and work with the trustees to make them happen. I know @LiLNicky@LiLNicky had a list of ideas thrown around at the party. He should post those and keep adding to it and getting input on it.
    Scheduling events can always be a headache, but hopefully we can work to make sure that people that are wanting to be involved are for at least some of the events.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    @Region: Cedar Rapids & Iowa City.... Lets use this as a time to tag anyone you know that hasn't or maybe they have joined the iowa city/cedar rapids area group. @incuplayer@incuplayer @Roman@Roman. Lets start by everyone listing some ideas here for what they would like to learn about or do. I will start another thread to list events/meetings

11. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    i have posted ideas lol

12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I liked @gburkart@gburkart idea of trying to get people to volunteer their houses/tanks for a meeting. Just a matter of getting people to volunteer to do it.

Something like the coral viewer we were talking about doing the demo we could easily do at someones house if they are willing to host.
    DIY food, or DIY rock is some other ones for people that may be willing to host a meeting.
    Even just checking out their system and hanging out and talking tanks is fun too, but you kind of get that on the tank tour.

13. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    well ,if my place wasnt a trailer lol,i'd be down for some type of meeting coming up here.heck i have a 210 coming so maybe we could do a meeting on some part or aspect of the build and i could get some free advice and or labor hahaha

14. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    I'm all for helping out, that would be great....I will need some help and man power as well lol. I know @Bronsonsfish@Bronsonsfish has offered up his store to hold meetings as well. Its a great store and it should be our duty to support him. I have a whole house to myself and will be holding meetings here also

15. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    @Bronsonsfish@Bronsonsfish is where i ordered my tank.always liked talking tanks with him,even when he worked at the other store.he's also the one that sold my crazy lady her axolotls lol.

16. Bronsonsfish

Bronsonsfish Inactive User

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My place is always available for meetings. It may be a little small but I can clear out the center room and setup tables to use. Let me know before hand and I can stock the fridge with sodas and snacks.

17. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I am in Lisbon, which is not too far out. I am willing to hold a meeting also. I have a little room in my garage if we want to do a DIY rock building or something hands on. Also in the spring, summer, fall months we can always have an outdoor gathering. Drinks and/or snacks around a campfire also is a good way to discuss each others tank concerns or adventures.

18. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    I think we have some good ideas going here guys and gals. I don't think a ton of informational meetings are a must at this time. The good thing about have a meeting over dinner/campfire/someones house is that we will probably cover a ton of topics. That way people can talk about or ask questions about what they want instead of only discussing one single thing. I'm going to be coordinating with the stops so look for a schedule in the next couple days!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Hey, it's been a while. I kind of slipped out of the hobby for a bit, but I think I will probably start hanging around again. I'd be interested in getting active with the club again.

20. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0