1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Piggy back sump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wayne1, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's the deal i ordered a new skimmer and my sump is currently not big enough and i'm not ready to get a bigger one yet,
    so i was going to take off 1 of my overflows of the tank and gravity feed  it into a rubbermaid container which will house my skimmer then i was going to get a small pump to pump it back to my original sump.
    Does anyone have any better ideas other than the obvious of getting a bigger sump.
    The skimmer footprint is pretty big so i would have to get a tank with a width of at least 18 inches.
    Does the idea sound allright.
    Thanks Wayne[​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just elevate the rubbermaid and divert your overflow into the skimmer, then have the rubbermaid dump into your sump. One pump back to the display.

3. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's essentially what i wanted to do but i need the container on the floor to work in the tank, i might need your assistance on this, because whoever plumbed this 10 years ago must have been drunk.

4. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    i would figure out someway for one sump to gravity dump to the next then pump back up to the tank like Ryan suggested. Otherwise if something happens to your pump in that other sump it will overflow. Can you connect the two with a bulkhead or something? Then you wouldn't have to worry about raising one higher up. A picture is worth a thousand words! Post a pic of your setup and i'm sure we can all figure something out for you.

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you gravity feed off only one overflow you will get an uneven flow into both sumps making one overflow and one run dry. They have to be connected. You can however put a remote tank next to, behind, or anywhere around the display you want to run water to and house the skimmer in it. It will need to gravity feed back to the sump though. This way you run one pump to pump the water from the sump to the skimmer and all of that water then returns to the sump. Everything stays even and nothing can overflow due to a pump failure. Pump failure in this case would run the skimmer dry if the hole in the skimmer tank is too low, so make sure to cut the outlet hole high enough to keep the skimmer wet if the feed pump happens to fail.

6. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The skimmer arrived today, and it is absolutely huge.

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What skimmer did you get?

8. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A MSX 300. I can't believe how much water it will hold.

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You know what they say! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

[​IMG]

Gotta see some of that bad boy! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

10. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll try to get one later today. I just got it working this morning.

11. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Not the best pics, the bottom pic has a maxijet mod shroud on top of the collection cup for size reference.
    [​IMG]

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whoa, that's a beast!  Can I ask where you bought yours from and why you decided to go with it?  I'm looking to upgrade in the future and am considering this brand and watching the thread on RC.  What size tank do you have as the 300 is the biggest skimmer correct?

13. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 04/20/2008 4:01 PM
    Whoa, that's a beast!  Can I ask where you bought yours from and why you decided to go with it?  I'm looking to upgrade in the future and am considering this brand and watching the thread on RC.  What size tank do you have as the 300 is the biggest skimmer correct?
    I got it from Marine Solutions. I have been looking at skimmers for a year now. They seem to be a good skimmer for your money. I have a 125 with two 30 gallon sumps now. They don't ever rate these skimmers as far a gallon capacity goes. But the 160 people have been using on a 125 gallon tanks and they seem to love it, i just wanted something for when i do upgrade i don't have to worry about a skimmer then.
    Yes, the 300 is the biggest.  I'll let everybody know how it works out. [​IMG]

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That things huge! SWEEEEEET!!! Looks like it's bigger than the 5 gal. bucket in the background. Do you have an idea of how much water just the skimmer holds?

15. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing 7-10 gallons maybe. I made like 35 gallons of new saltwater for that sump.

16. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone in the DM area have any bulkheads they want to part with let me know.