1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Phytoplankton, zooplankton, micro-plankton ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Nov 19, 2008.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I'd like input on feeding my tank.  I feed my fish a combination of flake food and frozen mysis shrimp.  I'm not clear though on what, if anything my corals need to be fed.  The corals are mainly mushrooms, zoas, and softies (califlower colt, leather hand, xenia, tarto tree, neon green sinularia).  I've also got a frog spawn, a couple trumpet corals and a bulb anemone.
    Some of the sources indicate that a supplement of micro-plankton is recommended for some of these corals.  Most of the products are listed as zooplankton or phytoplankton.  So which (zooplankton or phytoplankton) is considered micro-plankton.  I've got Kent Marine PhtoMax and also got some frozen cylopeze that the LFS sold me.

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You must have missed Randy's presentation at the fest, he talked about feeding your reef. Unfortunetly I didn't hear very much because I was distracted with watching the door. Basically he talked about the different types of micro/macro plankton, zoo plankton, phyto plankton, and rotifers. The important part that I remember is that you need to feed stuff that is the right particle size. If it's too big they probably can't digest it. I would recommend checking out reef nutrition's website. All of their products tell you what kinds of animals they are for. http://www.reefnutrition.com/
    I got the rotifer feast and the oyster feast to feed my corals, but I have mostly SPS/LPS. With you having mostly softies, I don't know if there really is anything you should feed other than fish poop.  In fact, you don't HAVE to feed the corals directly, they should get enough from the light and fish waste.  However, I've noticed better growth when target feeding my LPS.