1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Photo Of The Month (POTM) Contests!!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Greater Iowa Reef Society, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I take offense to this. What you are saying here is that a bunch of us on the board have no integrity and we don't have the ability to judge whose pics are best based solely on the pic and not who submitted it.

2. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Why read into stuff here is an example

If Dr Pepper has a contest no family of people that work for Dr Pepper can win. You as a board member work for Girs. Board members shouldnt be able to win.

If the people for the lotto picked a person that also worked for the lotto that would be pretty shady dont you think. You can say we didnt talk ww didnt plan this out... there was no favoritism in who we picked it doesnt matter what you say its all in the way it is perceived.

Im sure yall didnt have a plan. But it can be looked at it that way.

So dont feel bad tomorrow is a new day. Let the past be the past

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    So club members shouldn't be able to win when the contests are voted on by members? They are after all associated with the same club. There could be some conspiring to sway the vote.

4. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Uh huh that makes sense. Good one bro lol.

Pretty sure you can see the difference its pretty obvious

You do it however you want man. I was just throwing it out there is all.

5. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    maybe just have an equal # of board member and non board member judges?or we could find a non related to the club judge?just odd options from an ex junkie trailer trash dude that likes this place

6. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Great suggestion then it wouldn't be considered biased

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    we do have plans to do something like that @gburkart@gburkart, things like all members vote, a "photo panel" that casts votes, etc. this was just the first run and for no specific reason we decided to make it BoD vote. There was one good reason why this turned out to be a good decision after the fact and that was because of a couple complexities with the way the addon operates.

8. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    its all good,not like we are voting for a presidential election or something,i was just saying.

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    You can have voting issues with any method. The same panel every time could also be bias towards certain things. Members could team together and sway the vote. The BOD could conspire so armydog never wins. So many options for problems.
    As mentioned there will be different ways the winners are chosen to try and keep things as fair as possible. Its going to be a work in progress until things get ironed out.

Its just as plausible as your accusations that the BOD conspired to award the win to a BOD member.
    And judging by the number of likes that go along with each picture I would say a member vote would have had the same results we are seeing now.

10. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Never said I wanted to win buddy.

Glad you guys are planning on keeping what I started with pushback going :roflmao:

Have a good night pal

11. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    so maybe that should be how the potm contests are voted on.just go by the likes.board members and regular members can all click on the like button.....

12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    With the software everything is HOPEFULLY going to be done automatically.
    It starts the contest on a certain date, ends the contest on a certain date and opens it for voting to the "voting group" for a certain time frame. The voting group can choose their top 3. Then it automatically announces the winner and gives them a ribbon. At least that's supposed to be how it works once everything is figured out.

The idea being that if its all done automatically there is no excuse to it not happening. It might take a few months and some trial and error to get it working well, but it's a start

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Additionally, the # of votes per user is a setting, so we might do one contest where the members get to vote on only one pic, then another where they could vote for 5. I guess it depends on how much participation there is = how many votes we might set it to allow.

The Voting Group is a system permission, so we could create a "Photo Judging Panel" usergroup and give that group voting permission for a particular contest, and for another contest we give the GIRS Member group permission, etc.

If we wanted to, we could use the "likes" to "filter" down the list of top candidates and then have the panel vote for their favorite out of those select few. Something like that would have to be kind of "manual" meaning, there is no automatic way to restrict which pictures can be voted for. But, I'm willing to bet that type of feature could be developed (for $$ but probably like $10-15)

The problem with using "likes" to do anything is that you can't "lock it down" at a certain point - that's not how the Media Gallery works. So after the contest is over, people can keep "liking" pics, which is fine as long as everyone understands that at the "snapshot" point where the contest ends, that's where the tally is officially taken.

If anyone wants to see how this addon is configured "behind the scenes" you can see it here: Media Of The Month | Xen Factory

14. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Where is this " working for GIRS " come from?? I am pretty sure I DONT work for GIRS yet as trustee I am on the board , I thought this was all volunteer's , so I see no problem with the way it was done , but according to what I read from some since I am voting I am not allowed to enter? maybe a FOR PROFIT company like DR Pepper dont allow employ's to enter a contest but I dont believe that even comes close to applying here,,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List