1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

phosphate reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmsill, Oct 24, 2009.

1. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Im starting to get some hair algae in my tank so i am thinking of adding a phosphate reactor before it gets out of control. Is this a good idea or more trouble than its worth. Bulbs are 4 months old. Nitrates are zero useing a sulfur denitrator. Tds out of my ro/di reads o. I have 10 red scarlett hermit crabs and a bunch of asteria and turbo snails. I havent seen any hermits in a while so im not even sure their still alive. Also im running a euro reef rs180 and a octo 200 so i have plenty of skimming. I was doing water changes every two weeks but went to three weeks due to being really busy with work but im thinking i should go back to every two weeks. Any opinions on a reactor and what would be a good one to use and what brand of medai? O by the way this is a 220 tank with around a 60 gallon sump.
    Brian

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well what do your phates measure? My guess is they may a little high if you haven't been doing anything about them. Do you have much Macro Algae? Either two little fishes or kent should be fine. The bulk reef supply reactors seem to have the best rep, but I don't have one. I definitely recommend BRS pelleted GFO. Also, get more blue legs and feed then well. They are awesome algae eaters, although not so much on tall hair algae.

3. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Im useing a api test kit and the color chart doesnt show any but i know their have to be some phosphates. I dont have any macro in my sump.

Brian

4. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Buy the BRS phos reactor and BRS media! Is your tank exposed to sunlight durring the "lights off" period of the day. I have found that natural am light while my display lighting is off adds tons of light to the daily lighting schedule. Resulting in added algea growth... Hair algea sucks and is very hard to deal with. Try decreasing the lighting 1.5 hrs in the am and 1.5 hrs in the pm for a few weeks in addition to GFO and good water changes.