1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Phosban/Carbon reactor build W/Pics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calebjk, Jan 5, 2009.

1. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,
    I built a phosban/carbon reactor a couple weeks ago and have been meaning to get pics up, so here they are. The bottom chamber is for carbon and top chamber is for phosban media, it is ran in sump right now but could be HOB as well.
    ~caleb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow that looks nice...You have skills, AND TOOLS!
    couple of things/questions....

I would add a layer of foam just above the plate with holes to help keep GFO particles from getting past it.

How are you going to monitor flow?
    most reactors for GFO you set the flow so that you just see the surface of the gfo moving...if its to turbulent it will grind up the GFO and the small particles coud get into the tank and irritate corals.

eins

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well isn't that neat - very inexpensive way to do it!  I was also wondering on how to monitor the flow, if you can't right now I am sure there is a simple solution.

4. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is one of the drawbacks, you can't see inside the chamber to tell what is going on. I figured i'd run it for a week and then pull it apart and check the results. I really don't have any experience with GFO, and if i had i would have done a better job of rinsing it before i added it to the tank. but i went small on the pump, right now i have a MJ400 on there. i figure with the large diameter of the tube and the 1/16" holes is probably isn't to turbulant in there.

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    probably a real good idea.

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't you order an acrylic tube for the GFO half of the reactor? Haha, or cut a window in it and silicon on some plastic from a pop bottle to reseal it?

7. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the pop bottle idea isn't that bad. i could have used a clear acrylic cylinder but it's pretty pricey compared to pvc. i have been considering getting into thermal forming acrylic more so than i have been already. if i did that i could make a mold to make a half circle in the oven, then fuse 2 half circles together to make a tube, i could do that for about $1 of material.