1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Phos. reactor questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reeffreak3652, Feb 2, 2008.

1. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
       So I was given a Phosphate reactor (thanks jsbass!) and had a few questions on setting it up.
    First of all which is the best media to use? How much of it do i need? I was looking at a can of Rawophos today and the small ones were like $30 and the bigger ones were $50. Also I was wondering what my flow rate should be.
    I guess i could look all this up on the internet but i wanted to hear how everyone on here is running them.
    Thanks!!
    Josh

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im not super familiar with them as i dont have one but i think people use maxi 400s and i think when you fill it up you want enough space for the media to roll around... im sure someone will add more spacific answers shortly.

3. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Rowophos is a good brand. Just follow the directions that come with it. I think I used to add the whole container to the Two Little Fishies brand reactor. Just plumb it to get the media to "lightly boil". Make sure you put the filter sock on the output of the reactor to catch the little pieces that get buy and make sure you clean that sock regularly.

4. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can go to twopartsolution and get GFO, stands for granular ferrous oxide or something like that.

ive heard rowaphos works good but looking at the price of it makes me shudder

compare prices of the two and decide. i was told to use 1 gram per gallon.

i have read several people say that you want no more than 50 gph going thru the reactor for maximum contact time.

make sure that you run some water into a pitcher from the outlet hose on the reactor at startup to collect the dust from the media so it doesnt go into your sump/tank.

5. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if it is the phosreactor 150 use 130-200 grams of GFO. I am running 150grams of phosloc by pureloc. 150gram container is about $15. they say the flow should be about 30 gph but I have heard people say 80 gph. get a maxijet 400 and use a ball valve to regulate the flow until it just starts to churn. Make sure you rinse gfo. they say to pump about 1/2 gallon or until it runs clear into a bucket. this is what I read on their website.

6. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking at getting one of these reactors cause of my levels I dont understand exactly how they work. SOmebody help please.

7. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest the Phospure brand by Fosters and smith....it works as good as the others and is way less expensive...
    It does require a bit more rinsing but to me it was well worth the savings.

I am so glad I dont use GFO any more...

eins

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Phathead on 02/02/2008 10:47 PM
    I'm looking at getting one of these reactors cause of my levels I dont understand exactly how they work. SOmebody help please.
    If you want to come over and pick up some of that calibration solution, I can show you how my PhosBan reactor is hooked up.   It's pretty simple.
    -JB

9. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks alot for all the replies!! All of my questions were answered.