1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

pH swing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, May 12, 2009.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Sorry the pic is so big.
    But not that I have been using the controler.   I have been watching the pH closer and woundering if the swing is normal or what.   
    Reason I am asking is because, I have have noticed that the growth of my SPS have stopped.  
    Like my red cap, normally has a nice white rim, but now its gone.  
    My others like the milli's and digi's don't have the tips of growth like they did a month ago.  
    All the parameters seem to be good
    Cal- 460
    Alk-9
    Mag- 1240
    PO4- .06
    Trate/Trite- 0
    Not sure what else it could be.   I have all new bulbs about 4 months old.  
    I do 50g water changes ever month just like I always have since I started this tank.

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do those numbers correlate with lights off? If so that could be a great indicator. Did it just start happening or did you just recently start testing it with your spiffy meter? In other words are you sure this is NEW or did you just start catching it.

3. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For the most part I would say that swing is fairly normal, it does seem to follow your lighting periods. You could try to increase your Alk a little bit which should reduce the swings a little.
    When was the last time you did a water change.  I had also noticed that I had a slow down in growth so that was the first thing I did.  I usually do two large water changes spaced out a couple of days.  Then test and bring measured items (cal, alk, ph, mag, etc...) back into range.  This makes sure to put bake trace elements that you are not testing for.

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Taavis do you do 50g at one time or do you do 25g every two weeks?

I would try to step up the frequency of your water changes. do you dose with your auto top off or manually? try dosing at night (12:00-1:00am) when the PH starts to drop, this will help to stabilize PH.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    PH=overrated

Feed more! I started slacking on feeding and noticed a huge change. Now I am back to dumpin' in the food and all seems well.

Also, Do smaller water changes more frequently.