1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

pH Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,
    Just did a water test today and was kind of confused. All perameters were great, but my pH was at 8.8 I have never seen it this high and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    ~ Bela

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Did you test twice to make sure the results were accurate?

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Three times actually. It has dropped now since the lights have been off back to 8.1. I guess I was testing at peak lighting (just before the lights were to go off), but it still seems terribly high. Will try again a couple times throughout the day tomorrow.
    ~ Bela

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    At 8.8 pretty much any coral would be quite unhappy and maybe dying. How did your corals look? If they were fine I would say something was wrong with the kit or those three tests. 8.8 would be a bad thing!

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Corals are looking great, but I am still getting higher reading (later in the day, closer to when the lights are ready to shut off for the night). I will give another test kit a try and see how I do with that.
    ~ Bela

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    pH is going to be highest nearer the end of your lighting cycle. Then it start to drop when the lights go off. Are you supplementing with any alkalinity supplement? If so how much?
    Another test kit is a GREAT idea.