1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Ph question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chief Reef, May 13, 2018.

1. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    @Chief Reef@Chief Reef the Aussie Gold probably won' stop losing tissue. You can cut/frag off all the dead tissue make sure you cut it a ittle bit into the alive tissue to save it.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But you have a better chance cutting it.

2. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    :( that seems to be the tale of sps.

Actually I don' think I've ever fragged sps, do regular bone cutters work?

3. Jeff Nickels

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I also suggest raising your nitrate and phosphate. I use one dosing pump to add potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate monobasic. Once you set it up, it is very low maintenance.

4. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    The more I think about it the more I realize that this is a nutrient issue rather than a ph issue.

I think the nitrate and phosphate get used up as soon as they get into the water column because it'
    A smaller tank and I feed relatively small amounts.
    So I have started feeding twice a day and I skipped my water change last week.

5. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    @Jeff Nickels@Jeff Nickels I will look into dosing nutrients if I have issues raising levels. What brand do you use?

6. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    What salt are you using?

7. Jeff Nickels

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I bought the potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate monobasic as raw chemicals from a chemical supply company. The potassium nitrate was from Duda Diesel and the potassium phosphate monobasic was from eBay, christina sales.

Stay away from the stump remover potassium nitrate. Some people have had impurity problems.

8. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    @Pygmey@Pygmey I just did my second water change with HW wiegent reefer mix. Before that it was reef salt from aquaforest. The parameters are similar between these two mixes. The only major difference is the alkalinity. The aquaforest would mix up to 7.4 and the hw mixes to 8.9dkh which I am happy with. The only common denominator I'm hearing is that if major elements run high, nutrient levels should run high as well, just like @jeremy@jeremy said.

9. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Yep Jeremy knows his stuff . I just wanted to be sure you were not using that fritz crap

10. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Yes @Chief Reef@Chief Reef bone cutters, coral saw, Drexel tool all work well. Just make sure you frag off all dead tissue.

11. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Seachem - Flourish Nitrogen
    This is what I use for raising Nitrates. I do it manually. I jut dose a cap full couple times a day In To I hit about 5ppm nitrates.
    I only have to dose when nitrates drop below 2 which after feeding heavier and adding mote fish only happens after 2 or 3 months in my tank.