1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Percula not feeding & Royal Gramma in hiding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Jan 27, 2009.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I've got two fish concerns/problems.
    1) I bought a new jouvenile percula (true) a week ago from the LFS.  Its 1" in length.  Anyway, I forgot to check it at the LFS for eating.  Its been a week now, and it just doesn't seem to eat.  Maybe it is getting some nutrition (since its not dead yet), but I sure can't see it eating.  I've tried flake food, tiny pellets, and mysis shrimp (minced very very small).  I've seen it take a tiny piece of food into its mouth, but then always spit it back out.  I've even tried a drop of Garlic xtreme a couple of times without success.  Any suggestions??????  Its in my quarantine tank, so its not getting harrassed by any other fish.  And so far its still swimming quite actively.
    2) My royal gramma (I've had for 5 yrs), went into hiding 4-5 days ago.  It has a hole in a rock that it has always used for hiding.  Well, I've not seen it come out now for 4-5 days, not even for feeding.  I know that it is still alive because sometimes it will move it's head near to the entrance of the hole.  The last two days, I've used a turkey baster to squirt a little food into its hole.  So, I don't know if its sick or something has scared it or what.  I had a percula die about 2 weeks ago (reason for purchasing the new one).  Other than that there have not been any changes to my tank.  What should I do?  Should I do nothing and wait til it comes out or dies ????  The rock it is in it too big, that it would be a bit difficult to try to move without upsetting other rock.

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try brine shrimp. My percs wouldn't eat anything I put in the tank until I got some frozen brine shrimp. Now they eat everything.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Another thing you might try is frozen cyclopeze. They usually can't resist that stuff.

-JB

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I tried the frozen cyclopeze - and it went for it like crazy. I plan to keep the clown in the quarantine tank at least another week. Should I leave it in the quarantine tank until it does eat something else besides the cyclopeze? Or move it to the display tank after another week, and still feed it cyclopeze in the display tank (if it isn't eating something else)?

h2so4hurts - how long did it take your perc to eat something other than frozen brine shrimp?

5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i would try trigger pods when i cant get purple queen anthias to eat i use that for awhile and they normally take right of on it

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, the female and male wouldn't eat anything for 3 days. Then I threw in some brine shrimp and the female ate it but it took another 5 days for the male to start eating.
    Glad you got them eating though!  Mine seem to like Mysis the most now.