1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

peppermint shrimp with eggs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanndenise1, Dec 19, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just fed my peppermint shrimp and a couple fish in my tank and noticed that the shrimp have eggs underneath their bodies.
    whats up with this?
    are the eggs doomed, will they hatch and just be eaten or what.
    the shrimp have really grown alot they are 3 times their size from when i got them, they were skinny little suckers now they are kinda beefy and maybe a 1/2 inch longer. ive only had them for 1.5 months.

2. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Consider them fish food.

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd agree with free fish food. Very good food. I have peppermint babies floating in my tank at least once a week and the fish and coral love them.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 12/19/2007 6:17 PM
    I'd agree with free fish food. Very good food. I have peppermint babies floating in my tank at least once a week and the fish and coral love them.
    Where did you get all of your peppermint at?  I like to get some for my tank, their kind of expensive locally.

5. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    do they like them because thye taste like peppermint?? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    there is a method of raising them called the bucket method. most make it until day 23 then it is a 90% mortality rate.

7. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 12/19/2007 6:53 PM

Where did you get all of your peppermint at?  I like to get some for my tank, their kind of expensive locally.
    i got them in my reeftopia order, i think they were 2 or 2.50 a peice if i got 5.
    they have some pretty cool stuff on that site and when my tank matures i am going to order from them again.
    if you spend 99 buck they overnite your package free, it was a good deal.
    i got 100 turbos
    100 blue leg hermits
    15 cerinth snails
    5 peppermints
    something i really wish i would have got in my order was empty shells for my hermits, they really gang up on each other trying to get a new shell.
    somewhere here i have a giant bag of shells i picked up off a sandbar out in the gulf a couple years ago, im gonna find it and have these guys sporting some fast looking shells.

8. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 12/19/2007 8:33 PM
    there is a method of raising them called the bucket method. most make it until day 23 then it is a 90% mortality rate.
    have you ever tried it?
    i wonder what they eat as babies, maybe that green water or something?
    im gonna look into it.

9. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By davidm199 on 12/19/2007 8:13 PM

do they like them because thye taste like peppermint?? /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    hehe,
    i heard they taste like chicken[​IMG]

10. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what do you meen floating, are they kinda similar to artemia?

11. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Al, come on over tomorrow and try to catch some. You can have a few if you like for a small frag of something at a later date. I ordered 6 from SWF.com and 3 from etropicals. I think I got 8 and 4. I know they went threw a tank full of aiptasia in less thank 2 months and all the rocks were covered with the little anemones.

12. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 12/19/2007 9:06 PM

what do you meen floating, are they kinda similar to artemia?I'm not sure on artemia, I've not seen them.  The baby peppermints look like little grains of crap and sand in the water until you look at them up close.  Then they kinda look like tiny bugs that are trying to swim.  I know all my fish love them and every time they hatch its like a feeding frenzy in my tank.