1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Peppermint shrimp and corals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Firefish, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Firefish

Firefish Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,
       Just got my 1st corals today, a toadstoal leather, frag of zoas, and a monti.   Off and on since i put them in there my peppermint shrimp have been picking on them and making them close up (seem to really like the zoas).  I have 2 of the shrimp in there.  Should I be worried?  Do I need to catch the shrimp?   Any advice would be great.  thanks

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    In my experence I have never seen a peperment shrimp eat a coral. Do the shrimp come out and eat when you feed your fish mine always do. Mybe yours are hungry.

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On my 55g tank back in California I had one peppermint shrimp that was notorious with picking at corals, namely the softies. He did do damage, slowly, but was too tough for me to pull it out without tearing the whole tank apart. Feeding the tank a little more frequently helped resolved the issue, for the most part.

4. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have seen fire shrimp eat zoos but not peppermint they willl help keep the peskiy tube anemones at bay they seem to love them.

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My peppermint shrimps eat zoas, acans, and clams when they are hungry...

6. Firefish

Firefish Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. I'll start feeding a little more to see if that helps.

7. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    take a Veggie clip or something of the sort and put a piece of meat on it like shrimp or crab. Then shove your veggie clip all the way down towards the bottom and in no time the peppermint shrimp should find it. That way you can get out piece of food after a few hours. I have 4 in my tank and that's how I feed them.

8. Firefish

Firefish Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay I have a veggie clip I can use. Thanks for the advice.

9. Colin

Colin Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes feeding more seems to help, I used to have a peppermint shrimp that would eat my mushrooms it almost destroyed an entire colony before I got it under control.

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Wow I never knew those little suckers would do that. Not so reef safe then are they.