1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Parasite Prevention Idea

Discussion in '2008' started by Lee, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought it might be a good idea if the club could organize a group buy on coral dip and sell it for a reduced cost at the swap.   I think more people would use/buy it if were right in front of them rather than having to buy it online.....perhaps Calfo could do a quick how-to demonstration and promote the use of it.
    What's everyones opinion on the best dip?  I've heard Tropic Marine Coral Cure was one of the best  (Mine all leaked out before I really got to use it).

2. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that is a good idea. I would not have an opinion on which one is best though, not enough information on the different brands.

3. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It could be a good fund raiser and I know I would buy some, especially if you show me how to use it...

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great idea Lee!   I read more and more about different pests that are affecting our precious corals and you are taking a chance on ALL of your corals when you inadvertantly add new corals to your tank without the proper precautions.  I was once very dumb in that I didn't do either a dip or quarantee.
      I would be interested in buying some also (if it's not the kinds I already have.)  I think that Mr Calfo would be glad to say a few things about the importance of dipping/quaranting and probably has experience with the different products out there that actually work.  Why not ask him???  and then buy from his list of recommendations.

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And yes, I've heard that about Tropic Marine Coral Cure also and don't have that one yet.   I've used Revive and another iodine based dip (don't recall the name right now, but at Rockford they handed it out for free!)

6. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great idea. I have been leary about this myself. I have never used a coral dip before and have been lucky. My tank is starting to get to the point that it would be really terrible to get a pest (not that it would not have been when I started). I would deffinitely get some at the swap. Great suggestion

7. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do I hear maybe another donated item from a vendor?????

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Posted By JByrd on 08/30/2008 8:43 PM
    Do I hear maybe another donated item from a vendor?????
    If you can find a vendor to donate it you just might be hearing it

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not positive, but wasn't it Boston Aqua Farms that was doing the frag demonstration at Rockford?  and also selling fragging supplies and also giving out the free dip?   I sure thought it was.  Are they coming to the Frag Fest or donating? Just wondered.

10. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    BQF donated the fragging supplies and a different company donated the reef dip. Honestly anything over zoa nudis and basic soft coral bugs, reef dips won't touch.

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    quarantine is still the best method. I dip somethings, but still like a good 4-6 alone time for new things.

12. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Billy makes all of his new corals and fish "stand in the corner"... "You can come out when you promise to be good..." /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

13. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 09/05/2008 06:06 AM
    Billy makes all of his new corals and fish "stand in the corner"... "You can come out when you promise to be good..." /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    Having ran about half willy nilly for a couple years I ended up with red bugs. It changes your perspective a bit when you fight the litte bugs for months to erradication.