1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Packing peanuts and other packing materials

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AJ, Sep 5, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If anyone needs any of these, please let me know.  I usually keep some around for when I have to ship something, but I have too much now and I need to get rid of some.  I have about one and a half large garbage bags that I need to get rid of.  Please let me know ASAP as I will be "donating" them to the landfill soon!
    Oh, and obviously, local pickup only.. 
    --AJ

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Landfill??? UPS takes them and you even get discount coupons for bringing them in....come on AJ it's 2009, time to start RECYCLING man!

3. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Lately I've been seeing more of the packing peanuts made from a corn starch base. They dissolve in water and can even be added to your compost pile.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to know!  I had no idea they would take them off my hands.  You're making the assumption that everyone is as smart as you.  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif  Do they come and pick them up so do I have to take them to a distribution center?  Thanks for the info! 
    --AJ

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The ones that I got in the Bulk Reef Supply boxes recently were like that.  They even had a piece of paper in there indicating as much.  When I got one wet, it turned into a sticky mess....I think I'm going to let UPS dissolve them or reuse them or whatever they do with them.
    --AJ

6. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Mark Cooper on 09/05/2009 07:01 PM
    Lately I've been seeing more of the packing peanuts made from a corn starch base. They dissolve in water and can even be added to your compost pile.
    Probably not advisible to ship fish or coral with, as one leaky bag, you got a problem!

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you imagine getting a 2'x2' box with an empty bag and a bunch of goo in it when you were expecting a coral...haha...would be a gross little surprise.
    --AJ