1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

ozone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -=kevin=-, Mar 17, 2008.

1. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone use an ozone generator, monitor or control ORP?
    I was looking at the AC3 with ORP and PH probes.  Maybe money would be better spent on a calcium reactor and use AC3 to control that.
    What are your thoughts?
    This maybe pretty basic but, is a calcium reactor a good way to maintain my ph and alk? I don't have any SPS. I have leathers, polyps, mushrooms, zoas, GSP.  I want to make a smart investment.  I have 700-800 I'm willing to spend on this.
    TIA,
    Kevin

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    if staying in softies you have no actual need for a calcium reactor, and you dose with kalk to up your alk cause from how i understand it a calc reactor wont do that anyways. and ozone is all up to you but if everything seems to be going good i wouldnt worry about that either

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Depending on the size of your tank and what you keep in it, a Calcium Reactor is the best piece of equipment you can buy to maintain CA and Alk. It almost eliminates the need to dose at all. As far as Ozone goes i have heard a lot of good things about it but i think most people don't use it.   I think my ACIII is the coolest peice of equipment i have ever bought for my tank, just the fact that you can tell your friends your tnak has it's own IP adress is worth it.
    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With a softy tank I would spend the money on one or all of these and in this order: Fluidized canister filter for carbon, Top notch skimmer, something to contol temp. if necissary, phos reactor. I would not spend money on increased current, ORP, or Ca/Alk management. All of those elements can be taken care of with a kalk stirrer and water changes. Softies like lower flow, medium light, and slightly aged water. If you want to switch to SPS later, buy the calcium reactor.

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Travis, I don't think a softies tank would benefit at all from a calcium reactor. Normal waterchanges should provide plenty of Ca and Alk additions. If you have a low Ph, the reactor is most likely going to make it even lower. Dripping a light mix of kalkwasser should help with the PH.

As far as the Ozone, I don't think many people run it. It can make an impressive display tank as it keeps the water very clean, but there are some health and saftey concerns about it that you should research first.

Do you already have the aquacontroller? if you don't, that's what I would spend the money on.

6. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I do not have a controller yet. I think it would be very cool to be able to monitor the tank on line, etc. I'll do more research on ozone, I am sure that the generators I'm looking at are small enough that I won't be able to fill the house with ozone but, as always better check. Anyone already checked them out want to link me to the most relavent site? I know "Google is my friend" lol

Kind on leaning toward the AC3 with ORP, PH, and DC8. I would run Ozone in the Octopus skimmer, as needed. I run carbon already.

[more later the wife calls]

kevin

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I thought you had a controller. Move that to the top of my list!!! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd not trust many of the things writen in these articles.  From the start he seemed to have a biased opinion against ozone.  His studies I found to short to be accurate and the results were skewed and opinionated. 

I do not use ozone myself and probably will not.  In the near future I will start using one of the zeolite systems.  The two methods are completely different but their purposes are close to the same.  Zeo's are just a more natural way to control the bateria's in your system and has a few more benifits. 
    I did a good bit of research on ozone if you'd like sometime lets get together in the chat and we can talk about it.

Posted By lee on 03/18/2008 7:57 PM

The ac3 with dc8 would be an excellent choice.  Here are some articles about ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley:

Ozone

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php