1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

overflows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XxxTakxxX, Jun 8, 2009.

1. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering what brand of overflow is the best if that matters, and also what wize I need to get for a 55 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump.

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I've had pretty good luck with a CPR Overflow along with an Aqualifter. Some people hate them and swear by the U-Tube style overflows like the ones made by LifeReef. I've never used anything but a CPR style so I couldn't compare the two. I just know mine has failed a few times but it was because I used translucent tubing which eventually got clogged with algae.

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with waverz on the CPR w/ aqualifter.   And if you are interested I have one, I think I have the aqualifter too.  

4. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm definately interested Troy. The more parts I can get piled up the sooner I can build my cabinet. PM me with a price. My other question is about the skimmer. First off does the overflow go directly into the skimmer then into the sump or does the skimmer filter water out of the sump tank. Second what gallon per hour should I be looking for on that

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The best overflow is an internal overflow you'd find in a reef ready tank. Next to that, the best solution is to drill and build a DIY overflow which may not be quite as pretty, but will work just as well.

If you have to use an external overflow, I also think the CPR is a good choice. They are low profile compared to most of the U-Tube models and they are VERY reliable if you use them with an aqualifter pump and keep the pump well maintained. The thing about external overflows (no matter the brand) is eventually they will fail and if you are not there to catch it, you will either have a flood, run your return pump dry or both.

If you're just starting out, you might want to consider drilling. There are lots of people in the club who know how to drill tanks. The only thing is that you'll need to do is verify that your 55 doesn't have tempered glass in the back.

-JB

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would have suggested drilling but being he mentioned he had a 55 gallon it's iffy as i think most are tempered throughout.

7. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it is tempered. so i guess drilling is out of the question. My whole goal is to keep this as simple as possible since it is my first setup. I do plan on upgrading but that will obviously be some time down the road after I have gotten used to maintaining this setup.

8. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    My vote is to just bust out the bottom of the tank and replace it with non tempered glass/acrylic. It's not that expensive of a piece and then you have the reassurance of an internal overflow...

9. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how exactly would i build an overflow into that if i did replace the bottom? anyone got a DIY link to something similar?

10. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't worry about drilling the 55, or even taking the bottom glass out. A 55g tank aint worth all that work. I would just go with the CPR overflow, and then when you upgrade, because everyone does from a 55. Make sure you buy a reef ready tank.

11. XxxTakxxX

XxxTakxxX Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i kinda figured that was the case but i wanted to see what other options were there. all i need now is to figure out the skimmer i want and figure out where all the piping needs to be run. i'm hoping to get the cabinet finished this week and get some pics up.

12. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0