1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Overflows - are 2 needed on a 125 gallon tank????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Oct 20, 2010.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I'm starting to think about what I want my next tank to be.  Currently I've got a 75 gal.  My biggest constraint is space - so all I will be able to go to is a 125 gallon.  One of thing I don't like about my existing tank is the overflow area.  It takes up alot of prime space - its on the back wall - about 8" from the end.  As I look to a 125 gallon - the standard tanks all have 2 overflow boxes.  Is this really necessary??  On the tank tour, we saw Sone's tank (120 gallon?? with only one overflow).  If I remember right, Cagri's tank also only has one overflow box - and its MUCH bigger.  So anyone with a large tank and only one overflow - (especially Sone & Cagri) - how big is your tank and how much water do you run thru your overflow??  Are 2 overflow areas really necessary???  Pros & cons????
    Thanks!

2. Reefified

Reefified Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @ are not necessary, one will be adequate. You can get the desired turn over rate with one. Depending on what is being kept in the tank (e.g. SPS) you can just use powerheads in the tank to get the desired flow in the display.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    2 is best, but you can probably get away with one if big enough.

You could always drill it & have the overflows on the back side

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have 1 on my 150. I highly recommend looking into the beananimal system though.
    http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One is fine for filtration. The longer water is able to flow through the sump and fuge, the better it is filtered than if it was rushed through at max velocity. Though with in reason, in that happy medium of not too fast and yet not too slow.

If you need more flow with in the tank, like said earlier, upgrade your powerheads.

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the responses.  Confirms what I was thinking.  So - those of you that responded that you have one overflow - how many gallons/hour do you think you are running thru the overflow to the sump and back????

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm running an estimated 700 gph myself

8. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bella is right on with a single overflow. If you are going to drill a hole in the back of your tank and diy, dont forget about that durso standpipe talked about in one of the other threads. That will be a long drop to an elbow or whatever for the water. I have never had a problem with a ball valve at the end, so i can tweak the water level some more to quiet it down, but that's risky if something got caught in it as well.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this question greatly depends upon the load/critters you will have in the tank. as for filtration, you can never have to much available (more is better), a clean tank is usually a healthy tank, therefore, I prefer 3 or 4 overflows in a 120 (or any 5 foot or larger tank- one on each end and one or two in the center). this allows for many options, and also will greatly reduce "dead spots" with-in  the entire system. it also allows you the freedom from internal power heads because you can use the return pump(s) from your sump(s), as well - all the while, using a wave controller on the return pumps.

10. williamh

williamh

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a beananimal overflow and love it. If it is an option I would look into it. I have a single aga overflow in a 90g and it works fine with around 700gph. William

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well on my 165 tall, I run four returns from my sump and three overflows, the corner overflows are on on a shared 1400 gph return pump tee'd off at equal distance on single flex return lines, and the center is on a 900 gph pump with a double flex return line. this gives me nice flow and is directional- no need for internal power heads, all three returns/overflows have ball valves (7 total) and are on a wave timer set at 20 sec intervals. this really removes all the clutter from inside the tank, a look I very much prefer.
    edit, btw, when I  do my 240 gallon this winter I am going to place a sheet of acrylic inside the entire length/height of the tank that is 2.5 inches away from the back wall, this will serve as my entire tanks overflow with four 1.5 inch drains, it will have 8 returns dived equally from 4 return pumps- all this equipment contained in a 75 gallon sump.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that beananimal set up is pretty slick, I wonder if they could do the same for my design?