1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Overflow

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by I Found Nemo, May 12, 2011.

1. I Found Nemo

I Found Nemo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello again! As we were talking about in my hob vs sump thread overflow boxes. Well that is the route I am going and I have seen three different kinds of overflow boxes a CPR overflow,a U-Tube overflow and a surface skimming overflow I have read about the "dangers" of the power going out and water all over I have also seen plenty of ways to prevent that not saying they are all 100% proof but got ways to stay ahead anyway out of those three what would be the... I guess "safest" one to use as far as not waking up to 75g soaked into my carpet if the power fails ?

2. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    If properly maintained and with the right pump, a U-tube overflow will not fail, even if the power goes out. When the pump is shut off the water in the overflow will level out and the siphon is maintained.

3. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I made my own overflow out of PVC and it never gave me issues in the two years I ran it (with a couple dozen outages - cleanings included)

5. Foo

Foo Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

Best out there IMO, have ran for years, 10 plus, never failed me yet.

6. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I vote U-tube. Just paint or tape the tube to keep the alge from growing in it.