1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Over population of little stringy starfish...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Apr 11, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems I have 100's of these little tiny white starfish that look similar to a brittle star (the body structure) but MUCH smaller.  For the most part they come out at night.  Is there a way to reduce the populate?  They seem to be coming out of every little nook and cranny in my live rock and coral.  should I be concerned?

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i thought there was a shrimp that would eat them, not sure what one it was, someone here knows. i do remember if the shrimp eats all them and has no food left and not specifically fed it'll die....i think anyways haha sorry not much help

3. Slurpeshark

Slurpeshark Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think youre probably refering to the little "asterina" stars which eat coralline... and the shrimp snowman is referring to is called a harlequin shrimp i believe... but from what ive read they are hit or miss as to eating them but yes once all the stars are gone you'd want to get some other stars for it to feed on... which i would personally feel bad about feeding something like a chocolate chip star to a shrimp. hope that helps

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    The srimp is the harlequin shrimp. I use to have those little stars and didn't mind tell i noticed that they were eating my coralline algae so i got a harlequin shrimp and it ate all of them then it died because it had no food left.They only eat star fish so if you got one it would deffinatly eat the stars. I got mine from hung at sea of marvels but that was years ago.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I dont think he is describing asterinas, they are out all the time & are not stringy.

It sounds like they are a type of small bristle star. They are usually beneficial as they come out at night
    & scavenge for uneaten food & detrious.

Now if they do bother you fish like a wrasse would probably clean them up alot.

Craig

6. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  7. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0