1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

ORP Probe Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gabzak, Sep 29, 2009.

1. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a stupid question I recently purchased a Reef Keeper Lite and was in the process off looking to purchase a PH pem to monitor my ph on the reef keeper interface, my question is that I see a ORP pen for $30 more but I have no idea what a ORP monitors. Could somone let me know before I purchase anything what a ORP does and if I need one. I have a 225 RR tank with a mix of fish,lps and sps corals..
    Tony

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Do a google search for ORP, basically you don't need the ORP probe unless you are running Ozone.

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tony ORP stands for Redox or (oxidation reduction potential) and is the single greatest indicator of good water quality, aside from your corals. The oceans Redox ranges wildly from over 450mV on well-oxygenated, nutrient scrubbed reef crests to below 200mV in nutrient rich, muddy lagoons with less then saturated levels of oxygen. A redox potential over 325mV will satisfy most corals, and levels above 400mV are recommended for shallow water and SPS corals. 
    It is a very good way to monitor you husbandry skills, you will see the changes in the water quality when you preform water changes, adjust your skimmer, exct... In the reef aquarium you should try to maintain a steady 350mV to 375mV. 
    One note, as the PH rises the Redox is more difficult to maintain, and yes it is used in conjunction with Ozone. 
    Hope this helps.

4. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Big help, so for a additional $30 should I invest in the ORP or just start with the PH Pen that hooks into my ReefKeeper

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would get the PH first and get ORP later.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Rick, you know you just copied and pasted that from somewhere..../DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/clap.gif

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL, Most of that info was from Calfo, and some was from Sprung. non the less good stuff!! LOL