1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Opinions on my tank?

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by B-Rad, Jun 28, 2009.

1. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For those on the tour did anyone see anything that they would do different or that I might consider changing?
    All input is welcome!!
    Thanks

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rick I think you have one of the nicest well built setups I've see. You pretty much got everything going good. Except for adding a fuge and cal reactor when needed. I wouldn't change anything.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes Rick, I was gonna ask that, any Refugium plans? Also, not that I DIDNT actually like it, but do you plan on leaving the back of the display "see thru"?

Otherwise I was gonna say your frag rack looked so full it was sorta an eye sore, and looked to be so full it was leaning. If need be I SUPPOSE I'll take them from you but I wouldnt be happy /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif.

Awesome system you got over there man!

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jmadison at some point I may add a small Refugium in the sump, but I would probably put a deep sand bed in the sump first.
    As far as see thru goes, my first plan was to put mirrored plexy around the back and ends. but once it was up and running I liked being able to see and clean all around the tank.
    LOL, as far as the frags go thats why I built the 4 foot frag tank on the back wall!....[​IMG]

5. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rick, I would have to say you screwed that system design up bad enough that you should probably just give me the whole thing to straighten out and start again.  LOL [​IMG]
    I would have to say the same as below.
    -Fuge (helps absorb nutrients, reverse light cycle helps maintain PH and such).
    - Colored backing (however, this does nothing for the system and is a personal preference, I like black some like blue)
    However, overall, I think your system in hooked up real nicely, I just wish I could have a room behind my tank so that I didn't have to try to stuff plumbing all in my stand and had more room for the niceties that you do.

6. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK,
    I would like to say thank you to Fawn and Rick for opening up your homes to us.  If had yet to see either of your systems and I really enjoyed getting out to see them.
    Secondly sorry to all about the directions to Fawns, don't know what happened there, I hope it did not inconvenience any of you. 
    Third, special thanks to Rick, I know it was hot out in that garage, especially while working with power tools.  You housed us for most of afternoon and it was greatly appreciated by all of us.  Your home and tank were lovely and your setup was inspirational to all of us, disregarding my joke in previous post.
    A big thanks to JB, he maned the grill and made us all some tasty treats for dinner, JB - you can cook me dinner any time! [​IMG]
    Josh, please tell the girlfriend thank you for being such a good sport about the whole date-for-a-day thing, I owe her a frag for being such a great sport, maybe if she comes over and a picks a frag of her own off my trays and watches it grown, you will have a reef chick in the making and she will grow as addicted as the rest of us.
    Lastly, thanks to all who drove the distance for the event, I think it was another great event and it was nice to meet some new faces.  Sorry all about forgetting the name badges.  As I told some of you, my family and I foster Basset hounds and we lost our first one because she was adopted.  So it was a happy and sad day for me, I was happy to see her find a permanent home, however, she had been with us about six months and we had grown very attached to her.
    Thanks all.
    Jeremy
    GIRS CR/IC Regional Trustee