1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

One Year Into the Hobby

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cameron, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,

Well, it's been about 1 year since I began the hobby and despite my efforts, my 14 gallon biocube has finally seemed to have stabilized into healthy steady state. With Spring Fest just around the corner, I'm thinking I'm finally ready to begin to add some corals. Sooooo any advice on getting the tank ready would be really appreciated.

Off the top of my head, what additional water tests should I be doing, beyond NO2, NO3, NH3, pH, KH. Good starter corrals, given that I have the stock CFL hood, I'd like to start with Euphyllia would any in this genus work? What are people using to stick the frags to the rock? ... and really any other thoughts would be great.

Here's a pic of my tank. So much work, so much work yet to be done.

P1070452.jpg

2. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    You could always start with a nice piece of soft coral.... They tend to be pretty hardy and if they do well you can start adding from there.

3. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    LPS are also fairly easy to start.

4. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Judging by the coralline algae growing on the back wall you are doing everything correctly! In my opinion I would not waste the energy and resources to test for nitrite(NO2) and ammonia (NH4) since the tank has been running for a year and the bacteria is well established. Since you want to start adding coral maybe a calcium and magnesium test kit might help. If you have never kept coral before a really good place to start is with soft coral, however, if you grew that coralline yourself then I am sure you can jump to some lps that you mentioned. Favias are a good place to start with lps as well as leptos. I think euphylias are a lower light coral as well but I have also seen them in high light at the top of some tanks so you might be ok with them!

5. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    What are the number, lengths, wattage, and spectrum of your bulbs?

6. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    24W 10K Daylight (13")
    24W Actinic 03 Blue (13")

7. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Frogspawn is a hardy, fun coral. Monti caps grow well under most circumstances. I would avoid mushrooms - it always starts off nice but they can become a nuisance quick.

I like using super glue GEL - not liquid - for sticking frags to plugs. Alternatively, you can use a two-part epoxy sold in most LFS. It's smelly and messy but works very well.

Your tank looks great and you're on the right path. I had to do a double take with your post and username because I thought this was Cameron Lake posting and I know I've been to his house longer than a year ago and he definitely had a tank up at that time :roflmao:

8. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice. Has anyone tried PC-11, which is a 2 part marine epoxy. Monti caps, never thought of those. I'll have to do some reading.

9. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0